linked brake system?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian7

Reaction score
does the 2012 s1 have the bmw linked brake system?(front break lever does both front and rear brakes,rear just does rear)and if so do you guys ever use your rear brake?
my local dealer says it doesn't but i thought i'd read that it did.
i've done a lot of off road riding and find myself using a lot of rear brake.will i not have to use my right foot again?!

I can confirm that the 2012 does not have a linked brake system. In fact its pretty much unchanged only the ABS is turned off to the rear brake in slick mode and the sensitivity has been tweaked up front.

unionjack link=topic=434.msg3601#msg3601 date=1327870388 said:
I can confirm that the 2012 does not have a linked brake system. In fact its pretty much unchanged only the ABS is turned off to the rear brake in slick mode and the sensitivity has been tweaked up front.

UJ I'm sure the 2012 brakes are still linked. Differences in activation though.

I hardly ever use the back brake. Only at speeds less than 5mph or so.

I didn't think the BMW employed a linked brake system, i.e. using the front brake automatically adds some to the rear etc. :-\ ABS is turned off on the rear in slick mode for all years. :)

Now Im confused Im sure thats not right. Im going to put it to the test. Going to stick mine on the abba stand, turn the ignition on, and apply the front brake and see if it affects the back.

Godzilla link=topic=434.msg3800#msg3800 date=1328220477 said:
Yes the S1000RR does have inked brakes.
+1 , Mine is deffinitely Linked in some way. I have had my foot placed lightly on the rear Brake when I have used the front brake and I can feel the position of the rear lever changing under my foot, the harderI brake on the front the more the rear does its own thang...

Dont know if it will work on the Abba stand Greg ;)

unionjack link=topic=434.msg3802#msg3802 date=1328221415 said:
Now Im confused Im sure thats not right. Im going to put it to the test. Going to stick mine on the abba stand, turn the ignition on, and apply the front brake and see if it affects the back.

Time to RTFM. Page 98 to be specific.

"Your bike is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake level."

I rest my case M'Lud. ;)

Godzilla link=topic=434.msg3819#msg3819 date=1328261053 said:

"Your bike is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake level."

I rest my case M'Lud. ;)
;D ;D ;D

I' ve had that as well, where I have had to break rather sharpish and have gone to give it some back breakl and the pedal way already down!!

If you want to get technical the brakes are intergrated not linked ie there is no physical link between the front and back unlike a Honda VFR which is mess of plumbing. Its all in the translation.

Godzilla link=topic=434.msg3819#msg3819 date=1328261053 said:

I rest my case M'Lud. ;)
cheers godzilla
quite a few of us have learnt something today!

So it is, I would assume they are linked but the ABS unit cos there isn't loads of dirty piping all over the place! :D

Latest posts

Back