Chain problems..

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHP4

Reaction score
Hi all, has any one experienced drive chain problems with the HP4.. Put the power on, on the ride home last week and experienced what initially felt like a rear puncture.

Only to find when i pulled over that the chain was hanging slack. Either stretched or pulled the rear wheel forward, which shouldn't happen as there are bolts in place to prevent that happening?

Kind of lost confidence in the quality of it and thinking of getting an aftermarket replacement, any suggestions?

:eek:nthego:

I just bought a 17 T renthal front a supersprox 45T rear and a tsubaki chain from demon tweeks £220 top quality stuff

Hi, thanks for the reply, i was just looking at the Renthal stuff, any reason why you didn't go for the Renthal Rear and chain as well?

The supersprox has a cast centre for lightness with steel teeth for strength and longevity, and they look the bollox and I went for a tsunami chain coz they are supposed to be the best. I didn't go for the renthal rear because I thought the supersorox was a better options for a few quid more

The supersprox has a cast centre for lightness with steel teeth for strength and longevity, and they look the bollox and I went for a tsunami chain coz they are supposed to be the best. I didn't go for the renthal rear because I thought the supersorox was a better options for a few quid more

Fair play, thanks will look at those too.

Hi all, has any one experienced drive chain problems with the HP4.. Put the power on, on the ride home last week and experienced what initially felt like a rear puncture.

Only to find when i pulled over that the chain was hanging slack. Either stretched or pulled the rear wheel forward, which shouldn't happen as there are bolts in place to prevent that happening?

Kind of lost confidence in the quality of it and thinking of getting an aftermarket replacement, any suggestions?

:eek:nthego:

Hi steve

i have an hp4 with around 3k miles on the clock and the chain has been perfect. No adjustments needed, still as taught as a nuns chuff. These are homogenised track bikes, no reason to think the parts are sub standard.

what did your dealer say about it? The chain and rear sprocket position can be measured to check if it is chain stretch or rear adjustment issues. Have you also checked the sprockets for teeth wear? Outside chance but weird stuff does happen.

nothing wrong with the oem chain from my experience so before you splash the cash it's worth checking out the above.

I had a 2011 S1k and had no issues with the chain. I have done 700 miles on my 2014 non HP4 and the chain is slack, I can hear it slapping about. It goes in on Monday for its first service so will mention to the dealer about it. Don't know how old your HP4 is but maybe there are issues with the quality of the chains they are putting in the new bikes.

Steve, just wondering, your bike is not new, just noticed that from your hp4 checkin post. Are you the first owner? How many miles? Bought from bmw main dealer?

it's perfectly normal for a chain to stretch during first 700 miles! it will be on the dealers check list when it goes in for a service, but if too much play just adjust it yourself it's only a 5 min job

Hi steve

i have an hp4 with around 3k miles on the clock and the chain has been perfect. No adjustments needed, still as taught as a nuns chuff. These are homogenised track bikes, no reason to think the parts are sub standard.

what did your dealer say about it? The chain and rear sprocket position can be measured to check if it is chain stretch or rear adjustment issues. Have you also checked the sprockets for teeth wear? Outside chance but weird stuff does happen.

nothing wrong with the oem chain from my experience so before you splash the cash it's worth checking out the above.

Hi mate, my dealer is miles away so not easy to find the time or the will to head down that way.. Will take a closer look at the sprockets etc though, just in case. I questioned the quality of the chain mainly because it seems to rust way too easy and takes quite a bit of work to keep it looking good.

I had a 2011 S1k and had no issues with the chain. I have done 700 miles on my 2014 non HP4 and the chain is slack, I can hear it slapping about. It goes in on Monday for its first service so will mention to the dealer about it. Don't know how old your HP4 is but maybe there are issues with the quality of the chains they are putting in the new bikes.

November 13 mate.. That's what i was thinking mate, of course i expect chains to stretch a little over time but not so much suddenly when putting the power on.

Steve, just wondering, your bike is not new, just noticed that from your hp4 checkin post. Are you the first owner? How many miles? Bought from bmw main dealer?

Yes mate, ordered from main dealer last Feb (13) arrived in Oct/Nov 13. Brand new, now with 1700 miles...

Do you guys not check and adjust your own chains?

Yes of course, but it's quite hard to do on the move lol.. It went from being fine to so slack it was banging off the frame in one throttle movement. Now as i have said, off course we all expect a little stretching but the way it happened was all a bit dramatic, which made me question the quality?

"it's perfectly normal for a chain to stretch during first 700 miles! it will be on the dealers check list when it goes in for a service, but if too much play just adjust it yourself it's only a 5 min job"

Yeah I thought it was perfectly normal for it to stretch but it's seems excessive to be honest. A lot more than I've had with my previous one. If it wasn't going in for it's service I would just adjust it myself I'm paying them after all so they can do it.

Steve its a common problem with the chains rusting so bad on these bikes, there's a few threads started on this forum dedicated to that issue. I havnt heard nothing about excessive stretching though

it's perfectly normal for a chain to stretch during first 700 miles! it will be on the dealers check list when it goes in for a service, but if too much play just adjust it yourself it's only a 5 min job

I probably haven't explained this very well, judging by some of the comments. Of course it is normal for the chain to stretch during the first 700 miles, this happened 1700 miles after the 1st service. Of course there is still going to be some stretching over time, however, this chain stretched from perfect adjustment to banging off the frame in one throttle movement, forcing me to immediately pull over..

Surely that is not normal?

Steve its a common problem with the chains rusting so bad on these bikes, there's a few threads started on this forum dedicated to that issue. I havnt heard nothing about excessive stretching though

Ahhh ok, good to know isn't just mine mate... Not that i want other members to be having issues. That together with the stretching experience was the reason i have ended up questioning the quality of the chain. I'm certainly not questioning the quality of the bike :woot:

If it's gone from being good to that bad in just a twist of throttle that is pretty poor!! have you checked chain adjusters, axle nut etc just to make sure everything is as it should be, have had mine rust up a big but may have been down to my negligence after a wash, never had and stretching issues as of yet

Like andy says, from perfect to unrideable in one throttle twist is wrong. My money is on it being wrong torque on the back wheel axle nut, giving a tiny position slip after working loose. Done 2 track days plus the 3k miles never had any issues. No rust either, cleaned and waxed every 500 miles as per the manual.

interested to know what the problem really is.

Back