Indicator switch buuuuugared

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Reaction score
Had my shiny s1 a week now and it seems the indicator switch has packed up, it will put the indicators on either way but won't cancel them! Has anyone else had this happen?
Going to call my nearest dealer tomorrow but don't know if they'll do it on warantee as the previous owner has fitted aftermarket indicators so might have to go back to the dealer i bought it from if not

Hmm thats an odd one. On the + side I have noticed that the S1000RR has self cancelling indicators, after approx 200 meters they should turn themselves off so it should still be rideable?

andybarsblade link=topic=432.msg3592#msg3592 date=1327862725 said:
Hmm thats an odd one. On the + side I have noticed that the S1000RR has self cancelling indicators, after approx 200 meters they should turn themselves off so it should still be rideable?
Cheers for that, i was just showing her to a mate who popped round for a look...... didn't go out today as didn't really get above freezing but at least it should be ok to get to the dealers then

Funnily enough when I was in the dealers ordering a new high beam switch I was informed that the indicator switch was also a common failure which has been uprated, as has pretty much every switch on the handlebars apparently.

Do you think it's worth a call to my dealer to see if any thing needs to be done

I doubt they would change it before it goes pete tong but I might see if I can't 'jinx' the indicators as well.

unionjack link=topic=432.msg3600#msg3600 date=1327870197 said:
Funnily enough when I was in the dealers ordering a new high beam switch I was informed that the indicator switch was also a common failure which has been uprated, as has pretty much every switch on the handlebars apparently.
That's worth knowing thanks. As i said on the original post mine has aftermarket indicators so can see BMW doing there best to wriggle out of the warantee, but either them or the dealer i bought her off is going to pay for them its certainly not going to hit my pocket!

Yep, my indicator switch went. I could only put the left turn indicators on.

Spoke to Astle BMW in Grimsby today who were really helpful, they have ordered new switchgear for me and didn't bat an eyelid when i told them about the aftermarket indicators. Hope to get it done in the next week or so just depends on how the weather goes

My indicator switch cancel facility has packed up today, not bad 14 moths old...

Called the Dealer they are going to order a new one in and give me a call.
I asked if it was common he just replied we will get the parts and have a look.. ???

damn....looks like it is a common fault...just had a quick thrash in the brief UK summer and my right hand side indicators won't switch on. L/H side ok as are the warning / hazard lights. shall call my dealer shortly...assume this is a guarantee replacement? must also get that sidestand recall sorted just in case that gives way any time soon!!

Switchgear is common failure, my indicators wouldn't cancel so I used the hazard button to do it until it could be replaced. :)

Did mine out of warranty as goodwill gesture.

Take it to the dealer - its such a common fault they tend to fix them anyway. They changed manufacturer after getting so many failures so acknowledge they are a flaky part which would soon have a very poor effect on customer satisfaction if they cost to replace each time.

I took mine in last month for its 12k service and mentioned the High Beam flasher and trip functions weren't working and they said there was a recall for the switchgear so they replaced both sides FOC. Incidentally, the replacement switchgear is much nicer than the originals fitted to my 2010 bike, you can actually feel that you've turned the indicators on rather than checking visibly for blinking idiot lights!

Nice one. I did think it didn't feel very nice to use, not a positive switch.
Its due a service and only has Bmw stamps so I'll get it booked in.

Whats the side stand recall?

My horn and indicators stopped working and then worked or not randomly and my starter was also playing up. Sods law when i went for my service everything was working. Bahnstormers put it on the computer and it showed the failures had occurred, they replaced both sides to the newer switchgear my bike is 2011 and out of warranty. they also replaced my fuel pump.

Take it in BMW, they should sort it as its a safety issue.

Back