Rant - Insurance for New Riders

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuOnTwo

Reaction score
Hiya, I've just taken the plunge n bought an s1000RR Sport in the colour I've been trying to get for so long... 7 months of hunting and I finally found one!

I was ecstatic. However the wind has been taken right out of my sails, because I cannot get insurance anywhere for it. I've not had my full bike licence a year yet (July this year) I do however have 1 years no claims discount.
The bike is going to be kept in a locked brick garage although not at my house, as I live in a flat and its a rented lockup less than 1 mile from my house.

Anyway being a 35 year old mature-ish male with no convictions claims or accidents in the last 5 years I thought it would be easy to get insurance, yet no-one will quote me for this bike I am gutted. Anyone got any ideas as to how I could get some insurance at a reasonable price?

If I wait til july when ive had licence a year, and 1 years NCD, I am getting decent quotes in £800 range... I just don't understand how this works, the underwriters say that my years experience driving a car is irrelevant when quoting for bike insurance, yet they'd be the first people to do me up the farter if I crashed my car, cos it would affect my bike policy and the premiums!!

absolute racket

When I first passed my bike test at a similar age to you the internet and mass market insurers would not give me cover on anything over 650cc. I went through an independent broker who sorted it out for a 1300cc but the premium was in four figures for the first year.

You've bought one of the fastest road legal bikes on the market. New rider, little experience, and I think also a rented lockup away from your property for storing it is not going to do you any favours in terms of risk either. So you will find cover somewhere but it will be expensive from what you've said.

In all sincerity, good luck with it.

I'm 47 passed my test last year on a z1000 and bought the BMW 4months later I had 4 years ncb with monkey bikes and had no problem insuring the z1000 for £350 the price went up to £950 for the BMW im insured with bike sure give them a try

I tried bike sure they won't quote at the moment, and I've tried to find temp cover, honestly fuck all out there. It seems to be according to underwriters, if you've held full licence for less than a year you're fucked, even though i have 1 years NCB. I got quotes on comparison sites £800 fully comp based on 1 year NCB and 1 year full licence, so I'll have to wait til mid july to ride it even though i've bought it now :(

Why would anyone buy a bike without finding out what the insurance might be first? Lol

Especially an s1000, surely you might of had an idea with this sort of bike?

Why would anyone buy a bike without finding out what the insurance might be first? Lol

Agree that it might be dodgy buying a bike without checking ins, but even that isn't a guarantee. I did lots of checking before i bought one, and knew that, whilst pricey, i had options. When i bought one a couple of weeks later, i went back to all the people that had quoted me and all had changed their minds. In the end i could only get it through BMW for first year.

I agree with the OP that it is ridiculous/unfair/criminal that they do not take car insurance position into account when assessing you, yet do want to know about points/accidents/claims that were car related. How can that be fair?

Fact is most new riders have a get off in their first year and insurance statistics prove this, factor in the OP's circumstances and he is a high risk, then factor in the bike he wants to insure with his limited experience and most would see him as a suicide jockey.

Insurance is just a total rip off and I agree they pick and choose what the accept as per car policy points ect.... Docta he can do without the sarcasm
btw the site is ment to help each other not poke fun at someone in a shit position.

good luck with the insurance kid

BMW give you a free years NCD if you insure an S1K - I was 35, first bike, no NCD though had my license 4/5 years - nobody else would touch me apart from BMW £1300 quid though first year then dropped to £700 odd in a different postal code area the following year. this years due at the end of May - hoping it'll be about £550!

I don't agree insurance is a total rip off. It is priced according to risk, and quality of cover. You only have to have third party unless you are riding something that belongs to someone else (finance). Can't see the rip off?

Insurance is just a total rip off and I agree they pick and choose what the accept as per car policy points ect.... Docta he can do without the sarcasm
btw the site is ment to help each other not poke fun at someone in a shit position.

good luck with the insurance kid

NO, i think that you will find that its an open forum and I'm entitled to my opinion. its not sarcasm its fact if you've just past your test go buy a 600 and get some miles under your belt. i paid big insurance's back in the day but I've done my time and now i don't, sorry fella but its life

NO, i think that you will find that its an open forum and I'm entitled to my opinion. its not sarcasm its fact if you've just past your test go buy a 600 and get some miles under your belt. i paid big insurance's back in the day but I've done my time and now i don't, sorry fella but its life

+1

I don't agree insurance is a total rip off. It is priced according to risk, and quality of cover. You only have to have third party unless you are riding something that belongs to someone else (finance). Can't see the rip off?

I had an R1 before the BMW, BMW cost 3 x the price to insure (£300 for the R1 & £1000 for the BMW) but has ABS/traction control and i absolutely believe they make it safer to ride...... skid an R1/S1000rr down the road they will cost about the same to put right. It's a rip off.

And don't get me started on car insurance.

Doc lol - I' not sure anybody is suggesting you are not entitled to an opinion buddy!

I think the point was the way you expressed said opinion - the guy was asking for some advice not to be told he's been a plonker!

Before I bought the bike I based my insurance quotes on 1 years NCB and having held licence 1 year, which is about 8ish weeks or so away. The point is none of the companies will give me 8 weeks grace and cover me now, but in 8 weeks after I've had full licence a year they will insure me. For information I am a new rider in that I've been riding on full licence for less than a year, prior to that I rode a 125cc for about 8 months, sadly that policy got cancelled as when I passed full licence the company I was with couldn't insure me at my new postcode (Ironically I'd moved to a much nicer area).

I've been riding a GSX650F for the past year, hence 1 years NCB.

Although I feel your pain mate, a 650f to a s1000rr is a big jump! I wasn't being funny I was being realistic, the s1000rr is a beast and can be dangerous if it catches you out. I hope it all works out for you and doesn't hurt your wallet too much, just keep an open mind, ride safe

Back