Clutchless Downshifting On BMWs - Auto blippers

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
Mildly interesting that BMW have introduced an auto blipper on the new RT.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29684

Maybe something they will roll out on other models in due course? Not that I'd want one but I'm guessing the average age of a BMW owner is soon going to be 3 digits so 'ease of use' and all that. Perhaps a free voucher for specsavers too?

Not sure why the downer on it? I guess you've unplugged your quickshifter? Proper race bikes haven't used the clutch for anything other than pulling away at the start for years...

Sure, this system is probably for ease of use rather than pure laptime, but race-bred blippers are a performance aid and you can't really go moaning about performance aids when we own the bike that brought them to the masses...

Can't see the cheesy soft gearbox taking this abuse without the clutch !!!???

Point being a blipper rev-matches, meaning there is no load when downchanging. Just like a quickshifter cutting load on upshift, but is a bit more complex - as the bike does have to physically up the revs in the time between one dog disengaging and the next engaging.

Done right, there is less load than using the clutch as the input shaft will always be spinning at the right revs for the next gear, instead of using the clutch to smooth out the difference in speeds between shafts (making the gearbox drive the engine).

Of course, that assumes it works perfectly for every gearchange - something BMW can't even seem to get right with the quickshifter.

Last edited:
Back