Thoughts on the S1000R

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode one today, my dealer had there private showing of new models for existing BMW customers.

Can't give any judgement on it though, was on it about 2 minutes, up and down a straight road (lots of people wanted a go). All I can tell you is it's fooking quick on take off.

Hi Dave, surely your not thinking of trading the hp4 in are, if so let me know I would be interested. Are you booked in at Rainbow, I called in Saturday to have a look.

Having some tyres fitted next week the service chap claims it takes off quicker due to the torque may see if I can borrow it for half an hour. I'd miss the sports bike feel if I went naked not a fan of wind blast.

the service chap claims it takes off quicker due to the torque

I am a little skeptical about that. At some point physics takes over, tyre pressure and compound, rider weight and position. All the low down torque in the world isn't going to help. Low 2 seconds 0-60 is about as good as it is ever going to get, which the sthou rr can do now. If anything I would expect the s1000r front to lift easier as rider weight is not over the front like it is on the rr.

I suspect there is some good marketing going on, and there may well be the perception of increased acceleration from the upright seating position and having to 'hang on' to the bars. My other bike is a naked and it certainly feels like that when it is wound up.

But I haven't ridden one of these new bikes and am interested to read experiences so open minded for now. Enjoy. :)

The wheelbase is 22mm longer on the S1000R, which will obviously help with traction/physics though.

Zero to 60 Times website has tested the S1000RR and taken other times from credible sources and results show:

2011 2.7s
2012 2.8s
2013 2.6s

So be good to see when they get the R on there.

Don't know your source Ross but do you happen to know if the hp4 is on there too?

The site is still acquiring data from several sources for the HP4.

The site admits that 0-60 times on motorcycles can vary hugely. As we all know the factors affecting it our wide, Rider skill, weight, road conditions, choice of rubber etc etc. They do explain they take it from several sources and compile an average from all the performance tests done.

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcycle-0-60-mph-Times.html

I know full well that with my rotund derriere on it, under 3s is no chance.

Thanks fella, had a look at the cars bit only cos my business partner has just got an M6 gran coupe. According to the site it is faster to 60 than the coupe or the cabriolet. Now I know that can't be true cos the gran coupe is heavier than the coupe and all three have the same mechanicals. Think that particular stat must be a typo.

on the hp4 it should be a little quicker than the stock bike due to the launch control and the full akra system, but frankly it'll be splitting hairs I imagine. Can't see any bike under 2.5 so if the r is faster than that it would be in very rare company indeed. But like you say, in the real world most mortals including me would never achieve those kinds of figures anyway, so for me it's more about perception.

Last edited:
When I commented at top of thread that it was fooking quick on take off, I was compairing it more to the Tuono and Z1000, having ridden both within the last few months.

Well a test ride completed in the wet, it seems to be quick from low in the revs and pulls well from take off. handling is nice and its easy to throw about with the wide bars. mirror useless. The clock display for the speedo is a little small, the clacks can not be seen in the rain as they have no protection so just get soaked.
No wind protection i would estimate 85 on a private road ;-) would be about the max comfortable cruising speed. The cruise control is a nice feature for motorway riding.
The Quickshifter is the same as the S1000rr and has the same delay. The DDC is easier than a HP4 as its just soft, normal or hard.
The power modes have a clear change when switching between them.

Over all as a mess about commute bike its not to bad.

When I commented at top of thread that it was fooking quick on take off, I was compairing it more to the Tuono and Z1000, having ridden both within the last few months.

was looking to buy the sport model around may time, the 0 to 60 means sod all to me and would be more interested in the 40 to 100 time, having owned a tuono I am also interested in what the reliability of the bmw will be like as the tuono I thought was bullet proof and never missed a beat and althiugh people slate italian stuff aprilia in general seems superb, also the bmw is heavier, cant make my mind up now.

The Baron has test ridden it - and he owned an S1000RR (for a little bit) so reasonable comparison. Always a laugh to listen to as well :)

The question is did he buy one? if they do the F version next year with the same engine performance but with fairing it will be worth a look.

A good fun bike to ride just no protection from the wind and rain

Back