She's finally Here

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithd32

Reaction score
Well I had the bike delivered yesterday provided I signed a disclaimer that I wouldn't ride it until 1st March.

Spent most of today fitting D3 extreme tail tidy, Ilmberger front nose, Hugger (without hole) since I could do bugger all else.

Have to say the carbon nose was a faff but worth it.

Number plate is 7.5x6 inch fleabay special

Ventureshield tomorrow then she'll be ready for the road :unconscious:

Rad guards on order, never had a bike with the front wheel so close to the radiator.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 148
BMW told me the venture shield cannot be applied on top on the logo set on the belly pan.

Thanks for the info, i might skip doing the belly pan.
i guess they don't want you covering the logos in case you remove the venture shield and they come off with it.

i only really want to do the tank, lights and nose but the full kit was the cheaper option to get those parts covered.

It's to do with adhesive properties of the VC and needing to bond directly to the fairing. When you have some spare time would you post the info about the nose cone and your fitting experience? Cheers.

That looks great Keith, how long were you waiting and where are you getting the venture shield done. The carbon nose looks the business, how were the fairings to take off and put back, I'm always worried about snapping any clips.

I bought the Ilmberger nose piece after I saw the quality of the hugger I'd just bought.
BS motoparts shipped it in 2 days.

I watched the YouTube video from hotbodies where they show you how to take off the whole front of the fairing http://youtu.be/DgwbY4nGDwU or search "hotbodies s1000rr headlight"
First thing I took off though was the screen so I didn't scratch it, like I normally do.

Then when you have the whole thing off it's a case of removing each headlight, 3 torx screws then the 4 that hold everything together.

With the lights removed you can easily get at the clips and it makes it lighter so easier to handle. There' only one clip on each side you need to release.

I also put insulating tape along all the fairing edges so it didn't get trashed during reassembly.

Whole job took me about 2 hours from start to finish, I went indoors with the removed front so I could work on carpet not concrete.

Explorer, I did the venture shield myself as I've done my last 3 bikes.
I usually buy the full kit and just put on the pieces I think essential.
It's easy enough if you have the patience as it takes quite a bit of time to get right.

I ordered the bike in Jan for a summer delivery but someone cancelled their order the day after and the dealer offered it to me, right place right time.
Only downside was it had an alarm and heated grips so I had to splash another £435.
I guess less than 2 months wasn't that long, it just seemed like it.

I bought the Ilmberger nose piece after I saw the quality of the hugger I'd just bought.
BS motoparts shipped it in 2 days.

I watched the YouTube video from hotbodies where they show you how to take off the whole front of the fairing http://youtu.be/DgwbY4nGDwU or search "hotbodies s1000rr headlight"
First thing I took off though was the screen so I didn't scratch it, like I normally do.

Then when you have the whole thing off it's a case of removing each headlight, 3 torx screws then the 4 that hold everything together.

With the lights removed you can easily get at the clips and it makes it lighter so easier to handle. There' only one clip on each side you need to release.

I also put insulating tape along all the fairing edges so it didn't get trashed during reassembly.

Whole job took me about 2 hours from start to finish, I went indoors with the removed front so I could work on carpet not concrete.

Explorer, I did the venture shield myself as I've done my last 3 bikes.
I usually buy the full kit and just put on the pieces I think essential.
It's easy enough if you have the patience as it takes quite a bit of time to get right.

I ordered the bike in Jan for a summer delivery but someone cancelled their order the day after and the dealer offered it to me, right place right time.
Only downside was it had an alarm and heated grips so I had to splash another £435.
I guess less than 2 months wasn't that long, it just seemed like it.

Hiya Keith,

just took delivery of my Carbon yesterday, from a '12 S1K, seems a lot smoother but not ridden it much yet. The D3 extreme are definitely better looking than the R&G and others available. sold me Extreme of the S1K with intention of getting a Blue D3 Extreme for the HP4. anyways a quick query, someone recommended Venture Shield whilst I was in the showroom yesterday and said was circa £200 +vat to have it fitted....looks like circa £60 for the full kit DIY???? must say it looked good on a brand spanker bike they had on show but as you said have fitted to last three bikes could you advise if my fear of discoloured edges are right or wrong or if maybe the edges lift after lots of washing and polishing (bit of a ride then polish person lol)

many thanks

Darren

Hi Darren,

The full kit was £90 which I bought from Invisible patterns about 5 miles up the road from me: http://www.invisiblepatterns.co.uk
I can't see how someone can charge £150 for applying some clear sticky back plastic, I never asked tho.

I bought the whole kit but only did the tank, lights, front fairing and mudguard to protect from my leathers and stone chips. Just those bits were the same price as the whole kit that's why I bought it.
Only tricky bit was around the tank pad. The HP4 has a tank pad already on so I had to roughly cut around it to apply that piece.
Paintwork doesn't look as good where it's applied so for me any more than that would start looking naff.

I've never had it discolour or lift, it really is super sticky stuff.
I wash/polish the bike a lot as well so no probs with it there ;)
I use a dodo juice supernatural, a hard wax which is clear and leaves no powder residue. That prevents any chance of the edges going white with polish.

Just be careful when you wash it btw, belly pan fills with about a gallon of water that doesn't drain.
You have to remove one of the screws from the brackets underneath for that......

Cheers
Keith

The belly pan has a plug in it lads. About two thirds the way down the base of the pan there is a round rubber plug that seems fixed. It isn't. Best way to get it out is by pressing down on it from the inside of the pan, it pops out, and back in, fine. Took me a while to find it.

i say rubber plug, it's feels almost like hard plastic, but is slightly raised against the pan if you run your hand along the 'belly'.

i had my venture shield done by the dealer and it is only noticeable if you look very carefully at the edging. The paintwork looks the same as without.

Last edited:
many thanks for that Keith, i'll take a look on fleabay for some dodo juice....usually cheaper than other stockists.

that'd explain how I never had to pay for a tankpad this time unlike on the S1K, thought the garage was being generous lol

any other tips Keith...what chain oil does everyone use? and yes I should know by now...only been riding 26 years

Jeez....this just makes the wait for mine seem ever longer! Hopefully it will arrive at the end of the month.

Definitrly going to get some PPF for mine too....never fitted it before so hopefully its not too difficult to get a decent looking job. Good advice on the bung also when it comes to washing.

Only thing i have not bought yet for mine is a new carbon rear mudguard....how much for the one you bought?

Bike looks stunning!

I've been using Tecflow ceramic chain spray for the last few years, seems to work well and doesn't fling. Only downside is you end up with a bright white chain.
I might give the Wurth a try when it runs out then, one of the few I haven't tried.

The hugger with chain guard combined was about £220 from Twinshack, www.twinshack.co.uk but I bought it when they had 10% off so it might be a bit dearer now.
Matches the BMW stuff really well.
It was a bit twisted when I fit it so it must have got squashed in transit but I heated it with a hair dryer and bent it back into shape.

You might want to stick a bit of the 3M Venture Shield on the heel plates, my Sidi's started to trash mine after 200 miles but I might just have bent/big feet ;)
Kit doesn't cover them or the front mudguard so I bought a 15cm x 1mtr piece from fleabay for 6 quid and cut my own.

You might want to stick a bit of the 3M Venture Shield on the heel plates, my Sidi's started to trash mine after 200 miles but I might just have bent/big feet ;)
Kit doesn't cover them or the front mudguard so I bought a 15cm x 1mtr piece from fleabay for 6 quid and cut my own.

Keith, with all due respect I do wonder about some of the advice you are giving about the venture shield. I'm not saying you are wrong and I'm all for not spending when it's not necessary, but your DIY versus my professionally applied seems different. You say the paintwork doesn't look quite as good after you've applied it, but mine done professionally looks perfect and indistinguishable from areas without the film applied. You say the kit doesn't cover the front mud guard, but mine did. Putting venture shield on the heel guards will not stop them getting scratched, boots making contact will get through it and it will end up looking a mess. It could be dangerous if the film comes away and sticks to the boot or foot levers during a ride.

I do struggle to understand why anyone would spend £20,000 on a motorbike and then skimp on not having the paint protection professionally applied. It's not expensive considering the investment it is protecting.

I hope that anyone reading this about doing a DIY job on the venture shield understands that when done correctly it is almost impossible to notice on the bike and is a worthwhile investment, one that in my opinion is worth having done professionally for the maximum benefit.

Keith, maybe we will meet up one day for a ride and compare efforts? In the meantime did you find the drain plug in the belly pan?

Yeh sorry guys, just checked the remainder of the kit and the 'fender' bit was supplied for the tip of the front mudguard. I just missed it.
I appreciate that someone doing this for a living is likely to make a better job than me, don't dispute that and they'd certainly be quicker. I'm not being tight, some jobs I never consider getting someone else to do as I'm quite hands on.
You can't see the film if you stand 4 ft away from the bike, perhaps I'm being a bit fussy although it helps the bike being mostly white where the VS is.

Soofsayer, you did say BMW advised not to put the film over the decals and mine has those already applied so I didn't want the whole kit putting on anyway.
Did they cut around the tank pad and still apply the centre piece on the petrol tank when they applied your kit or does yours not have the BMW factory tank pad?

Not trying to give bad advice, just my experience.
Not ridden it since I did the heel plates, will tell you how many yards it lasts when I next ride.

I did find the drain plug thanks, don't know how I could have missed that......probably the same way I missed the mudguard VS I guess ;)

Soofsayer, you did say BMW advised not to put the film over the decals and mine has those already applied so I didn't want the whole kit putting on anyway.
Did they cut around the tank pad and still apply the centre piece on the petrol tank when they applied your kit or does yours not have the BMW factory tank pad?

Mine came with the tank pad on it and the venture shield is not on that bit at all (i.e. not cut around it). I guess the logic is that the tank pad provides the protection required in that area.

Not trying to give bad advice, just my experience.

I know fella, we are all here to help each other out :).

Not ridden it since I did the heel plates, will tell you how many yards it lasts when I next ride.

I sincerely hope it works. Mine are scratched to shit. When I first got the bike it niggled me and I tried a few things, none of which worked. From what I can tell it is only the lacquer that is scratched as when I apply carnuba they polish out. I did ask on here about advice on this issue and the best response was to treat them as consumables, I think they are about £80 to replace should I ever sell, so I'll do that. I enjoy the bike so much more now I'm not bothered about what my boots are doing to the guards.

I did find the drain plug thanks, don't know how I could have missed that......probably the same way I missed the mudguard VS I guess ;)

Took me a few washes before I found the plug too. You probably already know this but the belly pan will have a heat shield fabric layer applied to the inside. On my other bike it started to peel away from the CF. The dealer reapplied it for me but explained it was due to small amounts of water or damp sitting in the belly pan, gradually penetrating the fabric causing it to lose its adhesive properties. So naturally I was keen to find a way of removing all the water from the HP4 pan after a wash, hence the hunt for a plug. I also run the bike up to operating temperature after a wash just to make sure all the moisture is gone.

BTW your bike does look great, and I do very much like the nose piece, but I wont be putting one on myself, I'm not that competent so yours will remain that little bit more unique :). Cheers, Andy.

At last my bike is at the dealers should get it next week, going to have a go at doing the venture shield myself, I'll let you know how it goes.

At last my bike is at the dealers should get it next week, going to have a go at doing the venture shield myself, I'll let you know how it goes.

I had mine done by Covertech in the Midlands - excellent job but it is worth noting that the HP4 kit does not come with a piece for the single seat cover. I only noticed this on collecting the bike and ended up sending the cover by post to have it applied. Bit strange real since it is probably one of the most vulnerable parts to getting scuffed by a boot as you swing a leg over the bike.

I queried Covertech about putting venture shield over the decals after reading earlier posts on this forum. They said it could be done with no problem and indeed it looks fine - here is the finished bike. - judge for yourselves :05.18-flustered:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd....x540/10012905_791103474251152_504981330_o.jpg

Back