Super unleaded or regular?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HP44

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is any tangible difference between Super unleaded and Regular unleaded when used on a HP4?? Just curious and kinda hoping that regular will be fine!

Does anyone know if there is any tangible difference between Super unleaded and Regular unleaded when used on a HP4?? Just curious and kinda hoping that regular will be fine!

Higher octane fuels really only come in to play when you have a turbo charged engine and have it mapped to take advantage of it, otherwise stick with regular 97RON fuel.

I've always used super in all my bikes over the years. Currently use Tesco's 99RON.

The standard S1000 even has a sticker on the fuel cap that says "Super Unleaded Only".

Higher Octane fuels don't just come in to play with a Turbo Charger, any race engine with a very high compression that's been built for higher RON fuels will benefit from it.

I know the BMW K1200R can detect what octane fuel is being used and adjusts the bhp according. So have most BMW cars since 2004. Because the S1000 uses the same Bosch ecu that has that ability I'd imagine the S1000 does it a well.

The added price is sometimes negated because you will get higher mpg from higher Ron fuel and there's the old addage it keeps your engine cleaner.

Thorney Motorsport ran tests using an Astra VXR with Tesco's Unleaded and Super Unleaded (99RON) and found that using the unleaded gave 22mpg but using the 99RON gave 28mpg, also the VXR as standard produced 235bhp on unleaded and 252bhp on the 99RON.

Use standard unleaded in the S1000RR and i'm certain you will be stealing yourself of power.

Also above, 97RON is classed as super/premium unleaded. 95RON is standard. 99RON used to be the best you could get, but now some parts of the UK have 102RON and 105RON fuels.

a load of utter sh!t.......[/COLOR][/FONT]

facepalm_227785.jpg

The question asked was "super unleaded or regular"
The S1000RR out the crate is mapped to use 97RON fuel, nothing more. You can put 99RON in if you want but you will get absolutely f**k all benefit from it, not 1bhp more or 1mpg more so its utterly pointless and a waste of money.
I must have missed the bit where the OP mentioned his High Compression Race Engine.......... and the VXR is turbocharged which is what i said in my first post which will see a benefit from it.

power.jpg

Do everyone a favour on here and stop giving out bad advice.

it must be the placebo effect 'cos I was sure I was quicker with super in the tank :).

They are optimized for super unleaded but ordinary unleaded will work perfectly well,with a slight reduction in hp.The s1000 is one of the few bikes with knock sensors which will compensate for any deficiencies with the fuel.

They are optimized for super unleaded but ordinary unleaded will work perfectly well,with a slight reduction in hp.The s1000 is one of the few bikes with knock sensors which will compensate for any deficiencies with the fuel.

A knock sensor has nothing to do with fuel octane or fuel quality, its there to detect pre-ignition detonation.
In case you missed it you'll see a dyno graph in my previous post with an S1000RR running on various octane fuels. there is no difference.

As has been said super unleaded is a waste of time. It's an essential for a high performance turbo charged engine as the ECU will advance/retard the ignition.

Ross I'm amazed that you of all people have been wasting money on expensive fuel?

Ross I'm amazed that you of all people have been wasting money on expensive fuel?

Well although visually I dont care for bike, mechanically i always make sure it's perfect and super unleaded does contain more additives that reduce the build up of carbon deposits.

UrbanRacer, I'm happy to be proven wrong on my knowledge of fuel. I salute your uberness and hope the surgery to remove the phallus from your forehead is successful.

A knock sensor has nothing to do with fuel octane or fuel quality, its there to detect pre-ignition detonation.
In case you missed it you'll see a dyno graph in my previous post with an S1000RR running on various octane fuels. there is no difference.

Low octane fuel will cause detonation(pinking)-that's what the knock sensor is for.

Granted,you will not see any gains on the standard ecu using high octane fuel without timing mods.

I've just proved this,on the dyno,with the Bren Tune(separate thread soon when I've a bit more time)

97 Octane---205.19bhp
Sunoco 100--208.6bhp

Low octane fuel will cause detonation(pinking)-that's what the knock sensor is for.

Granted,you will not see any gains on the standard ecu using high octane fuel without timing mods.

I've just proved this,on the dyno,with the Bren Tune(separate thread soon when I've a bit more time)

97 Octane---205.19bhp
Sunoco 100--208.6bhp

Sunoco 100 is proper race fuel? it should produce better resiults than standard pump/super unleaded

when i used to race Karts my CR250 motor would make around 63bhp on super unleaded and with ELF 102 race fuel about 65bhp but the cost was astronomical @ £65 per 25 Ltr can

Well although visually I dont care for bike, mechanically i always make sure it's perfect and super unleaded does contain more additives that reduce the build up of carbon deposits.

UrbanRacer, I'm happy to be proven wrong on my knowledge of fuel. I salute your uberness and hope the surgery to remove the phallus from your forehead is successful.

Hold up let me get a cuppa and get comfy, right ding ding!!

Sunoco 100 is proper race fuel? it should produce better resiults than standard pump/super unleaded

I would suggest that Sunoco 100 is PUMP Fuel as specified by FIA/FIM/MSA/ACU etc.for use as a race series control fuel.

Race fuel is a different beast with special blends/higher oxygen content etc and supplied fresh and in sealed containers to retain the oxygen,not my fuel that came from the pump on the left(with cobwebs on)at Snetterton from a 4000lt underground tank containing 800lts,so if there was any extra oxygen it would be long gone!

97 Octane---205.19bhp
Sunoco 100--208.6bhp

you are quite correct though if the engine starts to pink the knock sensor will retard the timming and the end result is less poer

Last edited:
Can someone help me understand when petrol is/isn't super unleaded. When I picked up my bike I explicitly asked the dealer, and he said use 95, and so I always have. Having check the owners manual (2012 S1000), it says use 95 RON super unleaded....

...does this mean that the 95 ron fuel sold in the UK isn't 'super' unleaded. I'm sure you get better fuel economy using 97 ron (Ride magazine has a regular MPG challenge feature and they've demonstrated this on a few bikes).

Cheers

R

Can someone help me understand when petrol is/isn't super unleaded. When I picked up my bike I explicitly asked the dealer, and he said use 95, and so I always have. Having check the owners manual (2012 S1000), it says use 95 RON super unleaded....

...does this mean that the 95 ron fuel sold in the UK isn't 'super' unleaded. I'm sure you get better fuel economy using 97 ron (Ride magazine has a regular MPG challenge feature and they've demonstrated this on a few bikes).

Cheers

R

Most of it is just branding so look at the number. In the US 95 is their super as they go as low as 91 or even 89. In the UK 97 is generally marketed as super in euroland super is as much as 98. The S is designed to run on 95 primarily 97 may give you more mpg

Back