Why?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhanmore

Reaction score
So what was it that made you buy the s1000r? When you rode it for the first time, either test ride or as the owner what made your mind up?

I always said I'd keep my sp1,I loved it so much the sound the looks everything! But whenever I went out for a long ride,I found myself just wanting to get home,my legs and arse always ached lol and on the twisty roads it was a handful! Anyway I looked at the s1 and fell in love,but looks arn't everything! But after a one hour test ride I was sold! I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride! It was like it was my own bike! I felt way more comfatable than riding my sp,and having all the extra computer trickery just sold it for me! And I was even faster on BMW than my sp,so it goes to show you how good this bike is!

Buying a bike for me is a box ticking exercise and the BM just ticked the most boxes. Having said that all sense went out the window after the test ride.

I had an S1000 from BMW when my R1 was getting some work done. Did about 1000 miles on it over a couple of weekends. It was ok. I wasn't overly impressed to be honest, found it to be like my CBR600rr but more power, not exciting. I also had a K13r off them.

Was loving the beast that was the R1... but 6000 miles later (3 months over the summer) I started to think about what my next bike should be and the only thing that made sense was the S1000. I started looking but didn't want a motorsports one as I saw them everywhere and then Dave called to say he had something a bit special and I might want to take a look. I went in and bought it straight away. He obviously knows me too well even though it was motorsports colours and I told him I wanted the thunder grey. :eek: ;D

I only ever buy bikes that give me happy pants. Test ride loads every year but I always end up buying something purely cos I love it.

Saw it at the 2009 NEC on the stand and thought it looks phat, so I had to have one! ;D

Docta13 link=topic=398.msg3178#msg3178 date=1327007025 said:
I got mine cheap so had to buy it!

Ok but how is it different to other jap stuff and why? If Im going to buy one I just need to hear what/why you like it!!

the test ride was the killer
crazy crazy fast , high revving , decent brakes , feels planted , gadgets , QS &TC , just felt right.
did i say crazy fast

Compared all the others and it came to 4

BMW S1000RR + Fast + good brakes + all the tech + looks the dogs - wasnt blown away by the handling - shit damper
Aprilia RSV4 + italian + handling + spec - too expensive for the one i wanted (APCR factory) - too small for my lard arse - reliability
Honda CBR1000RR + Loved how it felt on track + price + never go wrong. - boring - millions about - not a big enough upgrade from my R1 (infact a down grade imo)
Ducati 1198 + Everything - Usability - wont take my abuse - worth nothing if you put miles on it

If i used my head it really only came down to 2 the BMW and the Honda and i stand by my choice.

If the Blade had 20 more bhp and the electronics of the BMW i would have had one.

rhanmore link=topic=398.msg3180#msg3180 date=1327007530 said:
Docta13 link=topic=398.msg3178#msg3178 date=1327007025 said:
I got mine cheap so had to buy it!

Ok but how is it different to other jap stuff and why? If Im going to buy one I just need to hear what/why you like it!!

To ne honest mate there's no real difference its just the same as ne other il4 I just liked the service they gave me and the badge but knowing me I'll prob still get rid of it for something else !

[/quote]

To ne honest mate there's no real difference its just the same as ne other il4 I just liked the service they gave me and the badge but knowing me I'll prob still get rid of it for something else !
[/quote]

Agree with Doc thats why its so good because they have copied the japs. Theres nothing radical in the chassis and the finish is as good if not better, they have just spiced it up with the engine and electricory. The only thing with you is the wheelying. Its going to be a waste of money having the traction control!

I saw it at the NEC bike show 2009. Turned round to my mate and said I am going to get one of those :)

I can only compare the S1000 with the Blade.
I test rode the Blade and thought that it was almost the same as the Blade that I owned, ok there was a few little differences ie a couple of kilo's lighter and a little more power but the Bike was basically the same. It did everything I wanted it to do, the Blade is probably the best Bike out there and no doubt the 2012 Blade will be just a little bit better than the 08-011 Blade but,
When I test rode the Bm I knew straight away that this is the Bike that I was looking for, It was more Exciting, it felt quicker, sounded quicker, felt lighter (could have been the K3's) oh and did I mention how Exciting blah blah blah ;D
I bought the S1000 cos I felt that it was more Exciting..... I still think the Blade is probably the better bike ;)

Phil

simple i got on it and after 5 mins was riding is faster on the same roads as i rode my heavy modded gsxr 1000 k7,chap from bmw who came out with me on the test ride was gob smacked how well i got on with it after 5 mins on it and couldnt keep up with me any where and he was on one of them 1400 bmw things like the busa but with traction and all the goodies on it and he said he was a regular track rider/racer aswell lol he refused to fit the slick mode plug in it aswell but i still bought it,only prob for me was the suspension on the front was too soft but after i turned it all up it was even better....lol

I was wanting to move up from a 600 to a 1000 and having owned the cbr600rr I was almost tempted to get the blade. Whilst at work I popped into BMW at Park Lane and was immediately drawn to the S1! They offered me an awesome deal.

The jury was out, having went home the same evening and the chucked both the blade and the S1 through the bike insurer and the S1 was cheaper to insure!

The End! :D

I'd had my 06 Blade for 4 yrs so was time for a change. When i get a new bike i like to go for something different from the previous one (had a 916BP before the Blade). I knew i wasn't going to get another Jap this time which narrowed it down to the S1, 1198, or Aprillia V4 thing. I'd heard too many bad things about the Aprillia to even test one (reliability & tank range), i had a blast on my pals 1198 which i really liked, then i test rode the BMW........
I knew it was going to be fast, very fast so it wasn't the power that blew me away..... there's way more than i will ever need. For me the real clincher was how it turned, held its line beautifully, and stopped very well (especially after riding down to Astle BMW on my blade - my biggest criticism of the blade were it's pony brakes - "progressive" would be kind.
I really like the styling & it had to be Motorsport Colours for me, I was sold! Can't wait to smoke my mate who paid £15K for an HP2 Sport ;)

HP2 Sport is a gorgeous bike, the detailing is fantastic, and supposed to be awesome to ride, just not the same power.

Godzilla link=topic=398.msg4023#msg4023 date=1328559054 said:
HP2 Sport is a gorgeous bike, the detailing is fantastic, and supposed to be awesome to ride, just not the same power.
It is nice - beautifully put together. Very nice to ride - prob the best handling bike ive ridden. The gearbox & quickshifter feel very similar to the S1 was slightly disappointed with the motor though to be honest, I was expecting a bit more from a track bred bike

why?
its a long story!
up untill a couple of years ago i'd only ever ridden enduro bikes,i used to do the short commute to work on a ktm 450 excr,green laning and enduro.
the mrs started to show an interest in riding (road) so i coaxed her into deciding she should do her test! she passed first time and spent a year riding a cbr 125.after that she got a ninja 250.
she wanted to ride futher and faster,up untill now i'd keep up on the 450 but they're not particularly road friendly!
so i brought a honda cbr 600rr,she brought a zx6.
a year later i was diagnosed with a spinal condition that put an end to my off road career.so i sold the 450.
i started to consider a new road bike as we were doing more riding together.
at the bike show that year i spotted one on the bmw stand,it looked awesome but i thought nothing more of it.
i started looking at other stuff,first impressions play a big part for me,the new zx10 exhaust looks shocking,never wanted an r1,and didnt fancy another honda.
with the new model arriving soon i went to my local dealer to book a test ride.
i decided to take my gear just in case, and ended up going out that day on a 2010.
it was awesome,the same size as my 600rr but hardly felt any heavier,awesome breaks and more power than you'll ever need.and looked bloody amazing too!
and it's a bmw! this was a big thing or me,im 38 now and i should be riding something that says "civilised"
so ive ordered mine,picking it up next month.its an easy decision to make,i just didnt fancy anything else.
edit:this was the first time ive ridden a bike with a quick shifter,that alone justifies the massive price tag.makes you feel like proper hero not having to roll off the throttle or use the clutch ;D

Latest posts

Back