Van or Trailer?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
As the title, I have the dilemma many on here have no doubt faced before me, so I have come for some advice on what to do. I'll be transporting 2 or more bikes to the odd track day this year, hopefully doing some racing next year.

Many of the trailer sellers on ebay are selling because they are buying a van instead. So I'm wondering if, although getting a trailer is far cheaper, will I end up with a van anyway? Is it inevitable? Is the trailer a false economy?

If a van, a T5 would be my preference based on what I read and like. Any advice on how one is like to live with instead of a car? Swb or lwb? How low can my budget be to get something half decent? I have zero commercial vehicle experience or knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Had the same issue.

Swapped out my Audi RSTT for an old Renault Traffic.
Use it every day for transport and at weekends for track days when they are available.
Short wheelbase low roof - big enough for 2 bikes (no more), economical and comfy, extremely easy to live with.

No regrets at all. (not lost the TT altogether as the wife uses it)

Been there too.....had trailer and sold it for a Renault traffic van....better for bike security, sleeping and cooking in also if you are doing a trackday that's any sort if distance to get too.

I sold my evo x because I needed a van and love it, don't think il ever go back to a car again is I love the drving possiiton of being up high. on the odd occasion when i have to drive the wifes car I hate it

No regrets at all. (not lost the TT altogether as the wife uses it)

Any car that has the misfortune of bring driven by my wife seems to age very badly, scratches and damaged alloys (not to mention the inside becoming an extension of our household refuse system) in a couple of days, apparently she has 'no idea' how this happens. It's got to the point over the years where now I can't bring myself to buy anything decent because one day she will need to borrow it and the next day it'll be ruined. Thank god she can't ride bikes.

thanks for the comments so far. Really helpful.

In my opinion a van would prob be better if you could live without the car, I just think with all your riding gear tools, paddock stands, tyre Warmers, generator etc spares if your going racing, wets etc you would be better off in van! plus as mentioned you can sleep in it too, T5 sounds idea plus they look not bad with a set of alloys, sport bumpers etc for a van there a pretty comfortable ride too

EXACTLY the same here

Kerbed wheels and even been crashed, although it wasn't her fault.

Infuriating but one of those things......

Davy

In my opinion a van would prob be better if you could live without the car, I just think with all your riding gear tools, paddock stands, tyre Warmers, generator etc spares if your going racing, wets etc you would be better off in van! plus as mentioned you can sleep in it too, T5 sounds idea plus they look not bad with a set of alloys, sport bumpers etc for a van there a pretty comfortable ride too

If you are going racing I would recommend as big a van as you dare. For track days the normal SWB and Low roof is a good compromise.

Sold my bmw car and bought a van last year. Looked at loads of vans, depends on yr budget. Vdubs are so overpriced but nice, vito seems to rust vivaro eats gearboxes never liked Renault so bought a tranny. 2litre d SWB low roof room for 2 bikes if nec 45mpg and love it. decisions decisions lol

I sold my 535 diesel as I useda trailer to pull bike to track of Dover to save the mindless boring ride down now I use works van ( vivaro) it's ok size for 2 bikes if empty, but as said earlier ad go for lwb and higher roof for all the needs, van is comfy tho

Thanks for the comments gents. It does look like the van option is the one that makes sense. I've got a few months to decide before I buy so I'm going to rent for transporting to the odd track days for now and see how I get on, which has not been great in the past tbh. Twice I have rented a van. Once was moving house 10 years ago, I scraped the full length of the drivers side along a bollard at a drive thru. Second time was in France I misjudged one of those height restriction barriers at a car park. Lol.....

used a trailer to pull bike to track of Dover

Wow, you actually come all the way down from Glasgow to ride at Lydden, bypassing all those other great circuits??

Last edited:
I've got the same dilema, wanting to do more track days this year but not wanting to ride the bike there. Ideally don't want a 'commercial vehicle' so I can still go back & forth to the local tip, any thoughts on maybe a seven or nine seater MPV with the seats taken out? Would there be enough space in one of these for two bikes?
Thanks.

Last edited:
My first few years of track days were with a trailer but it's much more convenient with a van . I've got a Trafic and it's great to drive and a great base for a track day and surprisingly comfortable to sleep in too. Driven to Le Mans from the North East and didn't have an ache, from it.

Wow, you actually come all the way down from Glasgow to ride at Lydden, bypassing all those other great circuits??

No ment wen I was going for ferry or tunnel for Europe

trust me the motorway to Dover is a killer on a sports bike and it usually rains all the way to Manchester lol

i have actually seen a bike turn up in a corsa van with the front seat took out.....!!!
Van is always better then trailer for me too

Back