High beam swithch gone AGAIN---------AAAAGH!!!!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechman

Reaction score
Bike absolutely brill but had this niggling problem virtually from the word go. Within 6 months the high beam switch went faulty (had to hold it in to get it to operate). Put the bike in mothballs over winter and carried out an annual service checked it all out and found the new switch that I'd fitted under warranty has failed again (lasted a few months) so ordered another from Allan Jeffries in Shipley. Ok these parts are still under warranty but doesn't give me much faith in the longevity of these things especially when I own a GSXR 1000 (9yrs old) and not missed a beat throughout all those years.
After speaking to the service manager he did say that they've fitted one or two of these switches. Has anyone else had the same issues?

mine went too it was 2 months old took it to the dealer it took 2 mins to replace under warrenty.

Guess what! Coming home last night I thought I'll try the old high beam switch and its gone up the houses. No warning at all now it won't stay on and won't even flash and shows a lamp fault sometimes. Pony.

Let's hope mine stays working som of them roads I was going down were a bit dark

anybody know if these problems have been solved for 2012?
so far it looks like you've got a 50/50 chance of switch failure!
not good for the germans this problem.

Sorry to say this chaps but these damned switches are not just fitted to the S1000RR but to some other models throughout the BMW range. Feedback I got from the dealers is these things go wrong for fun and they have fitted A LOT of them!!!! Neadless to say that they cost £200 quidish, some goodwill is put forward if the switch goes wrong after warranty. Still hasn't put me off the bike though but one would think in this day and age if there was an inherent fault with a component that it should be sorted like yesterday. I know this much if there was a fault like this with Jap stuff they're on it like a pack of wolves sorted done and dusted!!!!

Left handlebar switch gear

Hi guys, just joined forum & noticed quite a few out there with faulty handlebar switches. I guess I'm a member of the club too! The first one failed at 3646 miles when the high beam went pete tong, got replaced under warranty, then at 4536 miles the hazard switch failed! Again, replaced no problem. Never really used either, only noticed they'd failed during POWDER check. Dealer said they had quite a few go & not just on S1000. So, decided to contact BMW customer services.... complete waste of time! Apparently not an issue worthy of being addressed. Guess they must need 1 million to fail before they do something about it! Got a 12 year old SP1 that never misses a beat too & is still on its original switches, so it can't be anything I'm doing! I would be really interested to find out how many members have had this failure & how many times. If its possible to do a survey I'm not sure, but it would help us all post warranty if we had some facts & figures to fire at them. Any ideas or suggestions out there? Thanks

Back