Danmoto customs charges (import tax)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack sprat

Reaction score
Hi Ya ,
The track bike is coming along nicely. I would like to know if any one knows the import tax on one of these (2011 DeCat link pipe) . At £140 I am not sure what it will be and if it may price its self now above the UK one.
Regards Jack sprat

I only paid £112 for my Danmoto, and another forum member paid £97 (differences in pound to dollar rates at the times of ordering)

I didn't get any import tax (VAT) on mine and I know someone who ordered another similar item from Danmoto who also didn't get any. Of course it's luck of the draw with Customs.

Even you do have to pay it will only be 20%, which if the item is clearly labelled on an invoice at being £140 then it would be £28 import tax (VAT)

Also Danmoto is US company but the decat will come directly from warehouse in china.

Also if the delivery company pays the VAT for you, then requests you pay them before they will deliver it (which usually is what happens) they may add on a small fee for the privilege, most times in my experience it's about £5. Royal mail and UPS do it, but most others don't seem to.

Do you not pay duty and vat? Just from experience of importing cars from japan I always had to pay 10% duty plus the vat on top

If the customs catch it, you will indeed need to pay Duty and VAT. Sadly, I don't know rates for automotive parts, but I work for a company that imports tech and it varies massively - even different for an MP3 player, versus an MP3 player with a radio.

I thought it was 20% vat and 12% duty
If you as I the seller to mark up as a warranty replacement you will not pay any duty at all
I know I did this once :)
For a shit load more money than an exhaust as well

HI ya out of interest for those who answered this thread.
The full Import duty for the link pipe priced at £138 . Was Import vat £25, clearance fee £14 so £39 . still a big saving.

That's funny. I've just paid £19.17 import tax and £13.50 clearance fee. Total £32.67 charges. Haven't received credit card for the pipe itself but when I do I'll know the total price.

Which delivery company did you choose when ordering? As there was two I believe.

Yeah, I chose the one that got here the quickest as I'm going to Aus soon, didn't want it to arrive whilst I was over there. But they wouldn't deliver it until I paid the duty.

£91.14 for the decat pipe, £2.73 for a non sterling transaction fee (used my credit card)

So in total I paid £126.54 for it.

Where did you all order them from? Ebay?

You had any issues fitting it?
Has it made any warning lights come on?
Is there a how to from start to finish anywhere for removing the manifold, where exactly to cut, etc....?

I think I'll buy a spare manifold to butcher.

Where did you all order them from? Ebay? Order from www.danmoto.com

You had any issues fitting it? No issues for the people who have fitted them on here that I know of, I have one on mine.
Has it made any warning lights come on? No lights come up on dash, but error will show up on BMW machines because a servo gets disconnected, no big deal
Is there a how to from start to finish anywhere for removing the manifold, where exactly to cut, etc....? No how to, but with 2 spares hours and a toolkit it's easily done

I think I'll buy a spare manifold to butcher. You will have to because the Danmoto only fits 10/11 headers because of a slight design change. But don't worry the 10/11 headers fit later models.

[Please lengthen message]

Thanks for the reply Ross.

What problems are you having with yours?
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for a second hand manifold?

Thanks for the reply Ross.

What problems are you having with yours?
What sort of price should I be looking to pay for a second hand manifold?

No problems with mine, been fitted almost 2 years.
2nd hand manifold, no idea. BMW dealers actually bin them if a customer pays to have the full akra system fitted onto a new bike. So sometimes a nice dealer might have one laying around.

Back