Heated grips - Symtec or Oxford

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartH

Reaction score
As I can't retro fit BMW heated grips to my 2011 S1000RR, I am looking at the ones produced by Symtec or Oxford. My local dealer says that either can be fitted. Has anyone fitted these grips or any experiences of them positive or negative?

Cheers

Stu

Oxford inteligent grips are veg ready to fit should only take about 30 mins top I fitted two sets one set to my triumph and other to my Mrs' s Honda

Be aware that the standard grips do not come off easy and the throttle one is glued to the throttle tube. The left one is hard to remove too.

They look almost identical to the Symtecs G.

I've fitted the Symtecs to at least three bikes and really got on with them. I originally went for them because I could use my favorite soft Renntec grips with them and felt totally normal. They also seemed to get hotter than other makes although I think they have all caught up now. I liked the simple discreet switch set up as well. They weren't without their problems though. The rocker switch corrodes inside so I went over to the toggle switch but bought a separate rubber boot from Maplins which worked a treat. My second set corroded where the wires connected to the pads. No problem the vendor replaced with no quibble.

They look almost identical to the Symtecs G.

I've fitted the Symtecs to at least three bikes and really got on with them. I originally went for them because I could use my favorite soft Renntec grips with them and felt totally normal. They also seemed to get hotter than other makes although I think they have all caught up now. I liked the simple discreet switch set up as well. They weren't without their problems though. The rocker switch corrodes inside so I went over to the toggle switch but bought a separate rubber boot from Maplins which worked a treat. My second set corroded where the wires connected to the pads. No problem the vendor replaced with no quibble.

Thanks for the info. At £2.69 it would hardly be worth repairing them.

did you/anyone fit any heated grips to your S1000rr? I'm in the middle of putting a set of oxford ones on mine and having some trouble :/ as you say they are well glued on :mad: the left hand side has a plastic bracket coming out of the switch gear going under the rubber grip with a bolt going through the handle bar . But this bracket is stopping the new oxford grip from sliding all the way up to the switch gear, and I cant cut any of the heated grip away because it will cut through the heated wiring... and if I cut through the bracket the switch gear will rotate round the clip on bars ! anyone got any hints/tips ?

Sorry fella
Put normal ones back on a buy some heated gloves IMHO aftermarket grips are too large a diameter and are proper shiite

Just in case anyone else is thinking of fitting oxford grips or similar to their s1000rr. BMW don't want you to ..!! I've fitted these grips to several bikes with no problems at all , but this time round ... what a ball ache :mad-new:
See the photo below and you can see where I've cut away the rubber grip (which you are told to do to get the new ones on) the plastic bracket protruding from under the left hand switch gear and going under the rubber grip, stopping the new heated grip from sliding all the way up. If you modify the oxford grip you will most probably cut into the heating wiring and if you cut the plastic bracket off the switch gear will rotate of its own accord :( The right hand side is just about do-able but the rubber grip is proper bonded onto the twist grip, so cutting the old grip of and making it smooth enough for the new heated one to slide on is nigh on impossible. Like fatbob says save your self some hassle and buy some heated gloves .

I'm slowly acquiring parts to do this, retro fit S1000rr heated grips with some mods. But it will be probably easier & cheaper with oxford grips or R&G grips as I've seen these fitted to our bikes before.

Heated gloves are better (warmth) than the grips but with all the hassle of the wiring & bulky gloves.

finally finished fitting the Oxford grips, as you can see in the photo the Oxford switch gear isn't the prettiest thing to bolt onto your lovely S1000 handlebars ,but I use it for work and its freezing at 4:30am :/ . Another thing to add if you're thinking of fitting these is the nylon twist throttle sleeve (under the rubber grip bit), on the other bikes I've done this on they were made of about 2mm thick tubing so a bit more robust than the 0.5mm tubing that BMW used , it tuuk me bleedin ages to gently get all the old rubber grip off without damaging the sleeve under it, so like I said before it was a complete pain in the arse to fit them but got there in the end :)

Back