Rear sprocket

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionjack

Reaction score
Guys and Girls
Has anyone changed the rear sprocket to something with a few more teeth? The 2012 version has a larger one I understand.

unionjack link=topic=369.msg2897#msg2897 date=1325705216 said:
Guys and Girls
Has anyone changed the rear sprocket to something with a few more teeth? The 2012 version has a larger one I understand.

Hi, yes I have just changed both sprockets and a new chain.

-1 +2 AFAM

Thugsfatboy link=topic=369.msg2905#msg2905 date=1325746253 said:
520 chain fitted and -1 on front and vary from std to +1 or +2 depending upon what track i am playing at

Is the -1 front worth doing for road use ? What differences would I expect from changing to a 520 chain and what make is recommended

Cheers

I would recomend the -1 on any 1000cc sportsbike,easier for around town riding and power comes on earlier ,from memory 1st gear std was bout 152 kph and now its 142 both were with front wheel in air before shifting into 2nd
A mate just picked up new ZX10 before xmas and suggested to change to -1 and he loves it ,have -1 fitted on my 1098s as well
Probably wouldnt worry bout 520 chain i only fitted it for the track

Is the front sprocket 17 tooth? I think speedo runs off gearbox so going from 17 to 16 will result in reading being approax 6% high e.g. 70mph in truth 66mph 150mph a mere 141mph :p

Parley Waller link=topic=369.msg2913#msg2913 date=1325767844 said:
Is the front sprocket 17 tooth? I think speedo runs off gearbox so going from 17 to 16 will result in reading being approax 6% high e.g. 70mph in truth 66mph 150mph a mere 141mph :p

Didn't think s1000rr ran off gearbox so speedo should read true with any sprocket change ? Yes / no ???

ABS and NON-ABS models have different ways they run the speedo.

The ABS version takes the speed from the ABS sensor so changing either sprocket does not affect the speedo. I think the non ABS version measures the speed from the front sprocket.

I was thinking the -1 front would be a bit extreme for me and worries about clearance on the chain guides. Perhaps 1 or 2 up on the rear might mean less rear wheel action and a good excuse for a shiny new Renthal.

Every big bike I have owned I have dropped the front sprocket -1. It frees the engine to rev much earlier, smoother and respond quicker when you ask it to get up and go. The side effect is the front always wanting to point skywood, but don't do that it's very bad ::)

VINNY RR link=topic=369.msg2920#msg2920 date=1325859355 said:
if you drop 1 tooth on front sprocket do you need to adjust chain ?

Yes, it will make your chain a little loose, but its easy to adjust to the right tension again, easy instructions to follow on page 117 of the Manual.

i've always changed the front and back on all my bikes , on the s1 -1 front +1 rear , and there's no prob with the speedo as it runs of the back wheel, felt the s1 lacked a lot of low end grunt this helped it for me ,also let me get a better feel for the power delivery , now i.m running with a pcv and new exhaust i'll prob change the back sprocket to standard again . tbh i dont think u need to change any of the sprockets you just need to learn how the s1 rides and where all that power is and how to release it , try running with traction control of with warn tyres then you'll feel the real power thats on tap , its a differant bike again [MEGA POWER ] lol try it!!! remember make sure ur tyres are warm !!roads aswell !!

I went from a 17 to a 16 on the front and the pick up is much improved. No side effects. Got the idea from Kenny Pryde's write up in Superbike.
Best mod for £20 you will find.

To buck the trend here, my winter freshen up included a +1 on the rear to match the 2012.

I did a whole lot of research on it before hand, finding a spcific article in one of the bike mags comparing the 2011 & 2012 and recommended mods fr each.

I'll let you know in the spring how it worked out.

DD

I did a +1 on my Blade, was big improvement (and dropped the wheelbase -10mm, if anyone would notice that! lol) Will probably do something with the BMW when I replace the chain. :)

unionjack link=topic=369.msg2917#msg2917 date=1325786330 said:
I was thinking the -1 front would be a bit extreme for me and worries about clearance on the chain guides. Perhaps 1 or 2 up on the rear might mean less rear wheel action and a good excuse for a shiny new Renthal.

UJ I went +2 on the rear, AFAM i memory serves, for me it gave it the desired pull in the mid without being too bonkers. Quicker than changing the front as well

Back