Do you always wear protection

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettybeamer

Reaction score
I'm currently watch charley boormans USA bike trip on a BMW.ive noticed hes not wearing any protection.no leathers,gloves,or bike boots.hes riding at speed with only jeans t shirt trainers.i take it this guys never had a off whilst only wearing what he wears.dont get me wrong I no its tempting in the heat of the summer to ride like this but I had a friend come of a bike at 40mph in jeans&tshirt.not a nice sight when I visited him in hospital road rash or what.i had a bit of road rash lower back where my leathers rode up when I crashed my z650 years ago still got the scar.So the question is do you always wear protection.

I've been down the road a couple of times in the 17 years I've been riding and I never go out without all the gear on

I had a major high speed off earlier this year, if I hadn't been wearing good leathers,lid boots and gloves I woulnt be here typing this. ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION.

No. Not proud of that fact because i've had an off when only wearing shorts and t-shirt but if im only popping to tesco which is 0.9 miles down the road then cant be assed getting geared up

I've chucked a jacket and gloves over a T-Shirt and jeans to ride to a mates, or to lunch in town (all 30mph limits, in a rural town, not busy city centre) but if I'm going to be going anywhere above that pace, it's at least armoured jeans and leather jacket/gloves/boots, or full leathers. I've come off pushbikes at nearly 30mph in shorts and T Shirt, so know it hurts, but the risk isn't high enough for the palaver and hassle of sitting in a bar or at a mates all armoured up and sweating.

Bit of common sense - if you're likely to be above 30 (and I keep my disregard for speed limits for places where folk won't be stepping out in front of me) then get togged up.

But it's all personal choice. The only person you're hurting is yourself if you smear yourself down a motorway in shorts and flip flops, so I refuse to criticise.

Last edited:
I suppose I might wear jeans if I was riding just a mile down the road, but I never use the bike unless I am out for fun and for me that means at the very least 30 miles or an all day ride :glee:

Last edited:
Absolutely...I used not to bother so much...until a friend who's an air ambulance pilot told me if he gets to a bike and they're wearing the gear they may be bust up but the blood is in and they're alive....if they're not, they're not. Scared me!

Yes,yes and yes. Trashed a Yam FS1E on a roundabout in shorts and t-shirt,trainers aged 13 ( 36 years ago, in case anyone's counting....!), pretty messy , wouldn't have wanted to be doing more than the 20 or so mph I probably lobbed it at !!!!
Again, don't do the shops or short run to mates - they know I have a bike, so full kit for running the hills , the Continent or the circuits.....

don't bother if I'm just poodling round town or to the shops , but always wear leathers with in built back protector if I'm off anywhere else or off to work (20miles)

Back