Buying from USA

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissig32

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Just need some help. Has anyone know charges that we have to pay( VAT + taxes etc) when buying stuff from USA. I have been quoted very good price for few bits for my bike but wondering is it worth of hassle
thanks in advance

Don't know specifically about bike parts, but you will get stung for import VAT and customs duty depending on what exactly you are buying if its outside the EU.

Customs Duty (from HMRC website);

Customs Duty is charged as a percentage of the total value of the goods - that is the sterling equivalent of the price paid abroad.
To work out the percentage, each type of product is given a 'commodity code'. This tells you what the Customs Duty rate percentage is for that particular product, based on whether it's being imported or exported.
There are around 14,000 different classifications. The duty rate percentage for each may vary according to the country the goods come from. The average percentage is between 5 and 9 per cent, but it can be as low as 0 per cent or as high as 85 per cent.

Import VAT:

The percentage charged is the same VAT rate that applies to similar goods that are sold in the UK.
The import VAT percentage rate is applied to the total value of the goods. In the case of goods brought in this is the sterling equivalent of the price paid abroad, as shown on the receipt. In the case of goods posted from outside the EU, it is the amount on the Customs Declaration, which includes the price paid for the goods, the cost of transport, postage and packing, insurance and any duty that may be payable.

It depends on how much the package is valued at, if you want to take a slight risk.

Most motorcycle accessories are 3.4 or 3.7% duty plus 20% VAT. Then you obviously have the shipping and if a high value item you might also want insurance.

Basically wheels are 3800 dollars including p&p. Can any one tell me exact amount that I will have to pay here in UK?? Sorry for being a bit lazy as I have to paint my house to keep my second half happy.
PS
Has anyone knows the place where I can get OZ magnesium wheels for less than 2.8k??

Talk to Fatbob if he's still on here. He bought a set of OZ racing wheels from Hard Racing stateside and had them shipped to him here in the UK.

Hard Racing may also get you a good price on magnesium wheels. I bought a set of gold OZ wheels, not magnesium from Hard Racing and they gave me a good price. I'm exempt from the VAT laws as my mail comes via US post office.

Total customs value (CIF):£2370.34This is the amount that customs values your import at
- Duty:£87.70
- VAT:£491.61
Total import duty & taxes due:£579.31This is the amount that needs to be paid to customs
Total landed cost:£2949.65This is the total cost of importing, including product, shipping, insurance and import duty & taxes
at USD/GBP exchange rate of 0.6238

Want to BUMP this thread to see if anyone bought an Akrapovic shorty full system from the states?

The exhaust plus shipping is going to be around £850, so wondering what charges I'm looking to pay?

there will be VAT and Duty to pay on top of that, I've not had experience with USA but imported a few cars from japan, I imagine the you will be shafted the same though, don't quote me on this but I'd say add 20% vat then add 10% of that for duty, it may differ slightly for America or from item to item but I would use that as a rough guide.
I would say expect to pay a very minimum of £1000 depending on duty could go to £1120.

That was very useful thank you!
Its coming in at roughly the same as what performance parts LTD have quoted me (£1100)

It also says there'll be no extra charges if I buy from Europe (Italy)
Where I can get one for £900 shipped.
Is it correct in having no charges from EU?

yes

Potentially you could ring the supplier and ask him to label the product a a warranty replacement
You would then not have to pay vat or duty allegedly
Probably illegal too ................;)

Back