Nausea on Track

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
I always seem to suffer from nausea when on track with both bike and car. It might be motion sickness caused by a number of factors I have researched to do with the brain, I'm no expert. The symptoms come on when riding / driving at or near my max for a couple of laps. It is really annoying! Does anyone else have this problem and/or a cure?

How do you prepare before track good nights sleep, breakfast, caffeine. I have a few times and found it down to poor preparation plenty of fluids in between sessions with light snacks improved me lots.

I always tell my kids to open their eyes and look where we're going when I'm driving otherwise they feel sick too lol!

Thanks guys.

Rich - night before usually not the best sleep, but plenty of fluids and odd snack during the day. I've read conflicting info about foods, what to eat and how much, so odd banana, sandwich, that sort of thing.

Micky - I thought I was doing better with it when I stopped looking at the rider in front and looked through them to the next apex etc? Is that what you mean? Still felt bad though.

Micky - I thought I was doing better with it when I stopped looking at the rider in front and looked through them to the next apex etc? Is that what you mean? Still felt bad though.

I was having a laugh mate, but yeah you should always look as far ahead as possible, looking to the exit of a corner etc., if you're glued to watching the guy in front and he screws up chances are you will too.

soofsayer , dunno if u tried this but mate of mine had same problem , he was told to try chewing gum , something to do with motion of jaw on inner ear ... worked for him.... good luck.

When did this start, or has this been happening since your very first day on track?

Are you confident that you feel totally relaxed at all times on track?

You could try Hypnotherapy!!!!

Could it be that you tighten your helmet strap to tight and it slightly chokes you making you feel sick?? This happened to me the other day when I was giving it some and I had to pull over to slacken the strap off lol

Stress can cause nausea - the simplest explanation is that you're working yourself up a bit (subconsciously) before going out and it manifests in feeling dodgy. Happened to me many many years ago when I started doing car trackdays - after that, I made a point of sitting in the pitlane being quiet and breathing steadily for a bit to get myself on a level, before going out at the start of the day. Even knock your pace off a bit and bring yourself up steadier - you might find you actually lap quicker when you're trying to go slower and because you're processing at a more natural speed for you, it might cut down on the nausea.

It's not a weakness or anything like that, it's just a way the body can deal with situations it's not designed for if you let it run away with you.

Thanks guys, appreciate the posts. Friendly bunch here...

I have had the same symptoms in cars on track too so I don't think it is helmet related. I have never manged to choke myself with my helmet strap but sounds like something a couple of honeys I know might like.

My main anxiety / stress on track days is watching out for some prat who thinks he is in a motogp race desperately trying to beat me into a corner at any cost. I don't get stressed about my own riding unless I stuff it up but it may be subconscious as suggested, so I will try chilling out more before going on track.

I did find the symptoms eased off a bit when I ignored the bike I was following and only looked down the track at the next apex etc. I don't fixate on the bike in front but have to keep a peripheral eye out for erratic manoeuvres. Backing off a bit certainly helped with the symptoms.

I only go to the doctors when a limb has fallen off or one of the kids is poorly but I will have a quiet word about this on the next visit and see what useless advice I get back (yes I am cynical about the quacks).

The gum chewing I will definitely try next time. It makes sense with what I have been reading about the possible causes, interesting idea.

Thanks once again and it's good to know its not just me!

Have you tried one of those travel sickness bands you wear around the wrist? My help.

Do you wear ear plugs? I used to ride my Harley without a helmet and ear plugs when I lived in the states. Doing this would cause me to get dizzy and feel a little sick.

Back