The bit cut out of the rear hugger, is it necessary?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
It is there so the abs stuff under the seat does not hit the hugger when the bike is forced down at the rear? But leaves a big hole for debris to get at the rear shock. I have no idea how you could realistically get the rear down so far as to touch the hugger. Has anyone had an experience with this or bought the replacement hugger without the cut out?

i have a hole-less hugger on the way from carbonweb, so i'll let you know! :D

cant see it ever bottoming out to the point it hits the underside of the seat, if it does you probably have bigger worries than a cracked hugger!!

bigdave - yes , do please let us know how you get on with the hugger you have on order, i too am pondering wether to order one of these too.

i have a hole-less hugger on the way from carbonweb, so i'll let you know! :D

cant see it ever bottoming out to the point it hits the underside of the seat, if it does you probably have bigger worries than a cracked hugger!!

Thanks, I thought the same!

I have ordered a hugger with chain guard from Sandbar without the hole, hence my question. I'll post my experiences too.

i got one with no hole , it works much better than before , i did have my battery box smash my tubular tax disc holder whilst i had it on track but it stood 25mm higher than the hugger.
no probs so far

Im also running an aftermarket rear shock 5mm higher than standard

Surprise delivery this morning from sandbar. So I installed the hugger with chain guard.

I went for the Ilmberger piece because I know the quality is excellent and their stuff has always been good (I have some of their CF on my KR). I wanted a better chain guard than the OEM because I found the oem one did not do a great job.

so having installed the piece my thoughts are that it is a beautiful addition. The chain guard part covers the chain much better than the oem. The only negative is that the oem hugger had a lip to the swing arm, the ilmberger one does not. Also, as it is rigid there is a very small gap between the hugger and where it meets the swing arm.

I will be on track Tuesday so will report back any issues with clearance.

Apologies for the delay. Plus it has taken me an hour to get some pics uploaded somewhere are failing to post them directly here.

At Cadwell yesterday which made better lighting than my dingy garage:

bcedbe9c-6825-4e64-8107-f6ecc3c98e81_zps35b020d9.jpg

Absolutely superb around the track, but that is stating the obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a rear hugger without the cut out from the carbon guys on here, it works better than original, I've riden fully loaded up with luggage and there was no chance of it bottoming out ( see pics of mine on the site)

Back