S1K Commuter Bike

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awg

Reaction score
I’ve had my S1K since March 2012 (2012 model year) and find that more and more I use my 1200VFR touring bike to commute to work. I was always happy commuting on my previous Fireblade’s but the S1K just seems to “vicious” and too much effort to commute on.

My journey to work is only 17 miles, around a third is sub 30mph trundling through narrow village roads/heavy traffic and the rest is open or dual carriageway. Yesterday for the first time I stuck the bike in “Rain” mode when I got to traffic section and this morning I kept it in Rain until I got to the open road section again. What an amazing difference. It was far more like the Firebalde in traffic with a smooth throttle response and happy to bimble along and came to life when I hit the open roads. I can’t believe it’s taken me over a year to try Rain mode in the dry to discover how good it is in heavy traffic. I’ve only previously used it in heavy rain but from now I’ll be using it in heavy slow moving traffic.

Does anyone else use Rain mode for heavy traffic?

Allan

I have been known to stick it in Sport when on motorway, just to take away the snatchiness on a steady throttle cruise. Don't feel the need to go down to Rain, just because it feels like the baggiest throttle response in the world - I actually think I'd be dangerous, expecting a response that wasn't there. My town-work is limited though - when I use it to commute, I'm commuting 1.5 hours across Scotland via M/Way with only perhaps 5 miles of town either side.

I don't get the ego thing with the bike though, where there are guys claiming slick is the only mode worth using and the rest are a waste of time. If you use the bike in all circumstances and all weathers, there's a whole toolbox there to make your life easier - why not use it?

been commuting for a few years on mine , dont use rain mode ever.....even if its raining , though it is supposed to be better on the 2012.
i have recently bought a GS to commute to work as i want to keep an eye on the milage.
still prefer the S , the GS is shitter than a big pile of shit......not really sure why i bought it now ;\.
VFR was also on the short list

actually i just remebered we going to morroco next year , thats why i got it

I have been known to stick it in Sport when on motorway, just to take away the snatchiness on a steady throttle cruise. Don't feel the need to go down to Rain, just because it feels like the baggiest throttle response in the world - I actually think I'd be dangerous, expecting a response that wasn't there. My town-work is limited though - when I use it to commute, I'm commuting 1.5 hours across Scotland via M/Way with only perhaps 5 miles of town either side.

I don't get the ego thing with the bike though, where there are guys claiming slick is the only mode worth using and the rest are a waste of time. If you use the bike in all circumstances and all weathers, there's a whole toolbox there to make your life easier - why not use it?

Having just read shugs comments......rain mode is a baggy throttle....perfect description

I must be only person who likes Rain mode. Having S1 as only means of daily transport, I love the increased mpg of rain mode.

Used it once or twice when I first got the bike now I keep it in race mode all the time :)

Only use rain mode during downpours. Sport when damp.

Normally race mode during commuting, a bit more power is always useful when you need it.

Never tried rain mode on a full tank, so can't comment what the range for me would be. I did find sport used more fuel than race though!

I am so used to riding litre sportsbikes that I do not use any other mode apart from Race, that doesn't mean I have not tried the other modes. I did try Rain mode just once, when it was errrr raining and I didn't like it. I also tried sport mode, better but still not for me.
I might give Rain mode a go the next time I have to filter on the M25 (approach to the Dartford Tunnel) when Im on my way home from France.

Apart from the first week, never taken it out of race mode. Commute 23 miles each way each day, about 10 on the M1 and the rest into East London. As smooth as my previous Blades, and get about 38-40mpg on a commute and 45-47 on a blast.

Since fitting new zorst my mpg has gone well down as I'm always screwing it to hear the sound lol

You get more MPG when out for a "blast" than when your commuting to work in I'd guess morning traffic?

Sounds like a dull "blast" to me rusty :)

Agreed, 45-47 mpg would give almost 200 mile range on the tank. I've tried my best and never got more than 150. On a blast can be 90-110 miles per tank.

Agreed, 45-47 mpg would give almost 200 mile range on the tank. I've tried my best and never got more than 150. On a blast can be 90-110 miles per tank.

With my athletic figure (Sumo's are athletes too you know lol) I get about between 90/120 miles to a tank commuting depending on mode and as low as 60 going for a "blast".

Have also bought a GS and love it for the roads, when I communted I was getting around 135 to the tank, once did 1500 mile in 4 days and I have a bad back :) just use it now for track days, but looking to source a HP4 after xmas.
Now have a 91 550 Zephyr, 2012 GS12 and the S1K track bike, however I am still in the process of aquiring track parts :)

been commuting for a few years on mine , dont use rain mode ever.....even if its raining , though it is supposed to be better on the 2012.
i have recently bought a GS to commute to work as i want to keep an eye on the milage.
still prefer the S , the GS is shitter than a big pile of shit......not really sure why i bought it now ;\.
VFR was also on the short list

actually i just remebered we going to morroco next year , thats why i got it

I to got suckered and bought a 1150GS lasted 9 months before I got a KTM. Made for the Dakar you know not Chelsea

Back