PDA

View Full Version : distinct lack of pics on this site

Lumpy
25th July 2013, 12:57 PM
I know that if one wants to post a picture that they can create an account with various peeps and upload a pic there and then cross link it, but most people do not to want to go to that much bother to post a pic. There is a serious lack of pictures on this site, which would seem to indicate that there is an issue we can work on improving.

Can Admin not team up with one of these companies and arrange a deal where if Someone wants to upload a pic, they do so as normal here and the pic actually goes to another site and links to this site.

Even if you pay up and can post pics everyone else is in the same position.

This needs a better solution, I think the forum will be way better with an quick and direct method to post pics. and threads like this one will take off

http://s1000rrforum.co.uk/showthread.php?2632-MAN-(OR-WOMAN)-Caves!!!!-Post-em-up-all!!!&highlight=cave

my 2 cents.

Cheers

phil
25th July 2013, 01:02 PM
Like this one below, taken from my pc pics folder.

Aha, it worked!!

Lumpy, I uploaded the above image straight from my pc.. was easy enough mate. You having probs uploading pictures?

Phil

ps, Picture of a Carbon Fibre Pillion grab handle for the S1000RR

turtle
25th July 2013, 01:02 PM
to upload pics to the server costs £££ for extra storage space donating members are able to upload direct to the forum server as they pay for the extra space so they are able to use it

thanks for you comment

turtle
25th July 2013, 01:03 PM
Like this one below, taken from my pc pics folder.

exactly phil easy isnt it

Shug
25th July 2013, 01:10 PM
Is direct uploading one of the things that's unlocked with paid membership (as it looks like Phil is uploading direct)? Fair enough, incidentally, if it is - you're right turtle, storage and bandwidth costs.

One wee image is the same size to store and transmit as hundreds of actual threads in the database.

Set up a photobucket/flickr/etc account and it's actually easier in a variety of ways - instant access to your images from any PC does actually make a lot of sense if you use the sites as they are intended, as well as a repository for stuff to post on forums

turtle
25th July 2013, 01:21 PM
Is direct uploading one of the things that's unlocked with paid membership (as it looks like Phil is uploading direct)? Fair enough, incidentally, if it is - you're right turtle, storage and bandwidth costs.

One wee image is the same size to store and transmit as hundreds of actual threads in the database.

Set up a photobucket/flickr/etc account and it's actually easier in a variety of ways - instant access to your images from any PC does actually make a lot of sense if you use the sites as they are intended, as well as a repository for stuff to post on forums

hi shug

yes you are correct it is unlocked with membership as the way i see it they pay for it they can use it

cheers turtle

Lumpy
25th July 2013, 03:43 PM
No one is asking for a free ride Turtle!!! it was just a suggestion to get more pics on this site, it would not have cost you anything.

Shug
25th July 2013, 04:06 PM
No one is asking for a free ride Turtle!!! it was just a suggestion to get more pics on this site, it would not have cost you anything.

Not looking for an argument, but the situation where you post a pic and it links through the hosting site would never work. Where's the benefit for them? Props - a decent idea, but hosting sites only let you remote link as they know nobody will use if they don't. They make money by site advertising (and on a different scale than just banging a banner ad on here) so bypassing that completely would be cutting off their revenue stream. Never gonna happen.

Like I say, not looking for an argument - just illustrating the problems that you might not be aware of (I run another forum, so have had this discussion before :) )

Lumpy
27th July 2013, 08:06 PM
Not looking for an argument, but the situation where you post a pic and it links through the hosting site would never work. Where's the benefit for them? Props - a decent idea, but hosting sites only let you remote link as they know nobody will use if they don't. They make money by site advertising (and on a different scale than just banging a banner ad on here) so bypassing that completely would be cutting off their revenue stream. Never gonna happen.

Like I say, not looking for an argument - just illustrating the problems that you might not be aware of (I run another forum, so have had this discussion before :) )

Cool thanks for that, No arguments here just a discussion I was just thinking if it was easier more threads would have more pics, was just a suggestion! My thinking was that the pic site would want more logins and more pics on their site with the chance to sell them a service later down the line.

Cheers