Filtering

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penpals

Reaction score
Did a ride out of London this evening and got caught up in some heavy traffic on the A2 which required a lot of filtering. Am not sure if it is my imagination but at slow speed the HP4 seems less stable than the standard bike and made pretty heavy going. I found it difficult to keep up with smaller cc bikes but then I am not used to commuting in and out of London. So what's the best way of coping? But it was all worthwhile afterwards on the back roads in Kent and Sussex and the Super Corsas are wonderfully grippy in the heat.

It's not really a commuter bike matey ;)
Like you said I don't suppose any scooters past you when the traffic went

At low speeds the suspension on the HP4 softens, as the rear sinks the front lightens up and feels a bit soft and vague. It's normal don't sweat it.

The HP4 is definately not a commuter bike but getting out of London in rush hour traffic can be a right nightmare. That was the reason I got rid of my 1098s as the clutch overheated a lot. As I only do a couple of track days a year I was thinking it might make sense to drop down from 200 rear tyres to 190's and get a bit more manoueverability. Fact of the matter is that I am not good in heavy traffic, as don't ride in in often.

Practice makes perfect.....
Been filtering down the A40/M1/North and Central London for over 20yrs on a selection of bikes, honestly the S1K is the most fun
and easiest of the lot. With heated grips and PR3's what more do you need for all year commuting :encouragement:

Agree with rusty, what a blast on the s1k, every day I smile going to and from work. Had a car full of teen girls today wave at me cause of the bike, spent ages in traffic staring at it , pity I'm an old giffer but the bike is a dream to ride, easier than my gixer 6.

Have spent the last few years learning to get to grips with the S1 at CSS and have done a bike safe course but filtering really makes me nervous. I don't find the HP4 at all easy in traffic due to the soft suspension so that suggests I have to relax a bit. Any tips from the commuter experts?

I'm not an expert but recently found that putting my full beam on when filtering made a big difference to vehicles moving to make space for me to get through. Not done it in London but in Europe and on our motorways it works a treat. Can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!

I found it difficult to keep up with smaller cc bikes but then I am not used to commuting in and out of London. So what's the best way of coping? .

They may not have the best bike, but they will lose a lot less if there is a crunch.

Best way is to let them pass.........I do it all the time. Trying to keep ahead of a smaller/nimbler bike with a rider than a) may have more experience b) no fear c) wants to show you what they can do d) errr late for something.........and ride like a dick in London traffic will one day be a painful & expensive experience.

Couple of my experiences......

I get away from t/l and then slow down, scooter man eventually comes past and keeps going in bike/ bus lane. Gets taken out by van turning left, I see guy fly in the air. He was dazed but ok

Doing 30 in 30 zone and see m/b lights in my wing mirror but quiet far back, 2 secs later he is next me. 2 coppers jump out in the road. We both stop, he tells me, "not you sonny, on your way"

Thought I keep ahead of some dick, nearly ending up getting squashed......don't normally ride like a twat and this was going to be the end result.

Certain places I would filter more but most of the time I take it easy and then give it some beans when the traffic opens up.

Not a commuter bike, but its the only bike I got (& want...apart from a HP4 of course)

Me too. Virtually my whole journey to and from work is spent filtering. It's not what the bike was designed for, but it's sort of fun in a weird kind of way - a bit like a video game... it certainly keeps me focused! My route takes me from the outer suburbs of north London all the way through, over Tower Bridge and down into the beautiful south east of London.

I'm not an expert but recently found that putting my full beam on when filtering made a big difference to vehicles moving to make space for me to get through. Not done it in London but in Europe and on our motorways it works a treat. Can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!

I tried this the last couple of days and it makes a big difference! still get the odd ignorant driver, doing her makeup in the mirror usually, but seems alot better than my usual commute! :D

Not sure its what you describe but I noticed my steering damper appears to switch off at slower speeds making the steering noticeably lighter than when going 40 plus

must be something to do with the active suspension then? as my steering goes very light below 40 mph unless its the lack of gyroscopics from the light front wheel

Dunno about the HP4 but I live in the square mile and have no problem filtering on the standard S1000RR... in fact a lot of my friends think I'm a nutter even though I think I'm just progressing normally same as I would on any other bike?

In Paris on the peripherique most bikes filter with hazards on. Seems to work there... The peripherique is lethal though. I wouldn't ride on it personally!

Last edited:
I rode in Paris last year on way to Le Mans and it was mental but great and the motorists are in tune with bikes in Europe more used to them but defo more helpful and tolerant to us......
I filter all the time in Glasgow and u need to be a we but aggressive or most motorists will just drive over u, tho some do try a d move over and some do their best to try and block ur path!!!!! Why I don't know maybe jealousy but ur passing them in a min wether they like it or not
Dunno about the HP4 but I live in the square mile and have no problem filtering on the standard S1000RR... in fact a lot of my friends think I'm a nutter even though I think I'm just progressing normally same as I would on any other bike?

In Paris on the peripherique most bikes filter with hazards on. Seems to work there... The peripherique is lethal though. I wouldn't ride on it personally!

Back