hp4 rear preload/sag setup.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo

Reaction score
Anyone had issues with setting pre load on rear spring,found the adjustment nut to be fully out,therefore unable to adjust. Followed manual with engine running,measured rear sag,then measured with rider,needed to increase sag,but nut fully out.....

Well after weekend of fafffing about with this pre load crap on the rear wheel following the HP04 manual instruction, called my local BMW service department this morning whom in turn called BMW technical services and it now transpires that the hp04 manual ,page 51,for setting rear pre load is incorrect and a update is in progress to be issued. Unfortunately they would not inform as the correct procedure is....so much for BMW technical authors,you would expect this to be checked before going to print....anyone with same issue call em on 0800 777 155 and urge them along...

This might be a silly question but, As I'm 75 kg would the bikes pre load and sag already be set up and okay as standard for me?

The bikes are sprung for 85kg. They do not come with the sag set from the dealers.

My understanding of this preload business in getting it correct will adversely affect the handling of the machine for the individual to their advantage, in the case of the hp4 I'm assuming that the bike electronics uses this base setting for all other corresponding electronic adjustments that you wish to input. So getting it right on this or any other bike before all else should be the norm.
Godzilla is correct the bike should be sprung for 85KG [ 85 KG = 13.5 stone or 188 lbs appx ] but on this hp the adjustment nut is fully out, and not being able to get near setting for preload . Measuring rear preload as in page 51 of the manual gets me nowhere near 25 > 35 mm rider sag using BMW's own instructions which are as mentioned above has now been told are printed incorrectly. But pending BMW update.

As for the manual, i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the position to measure in the 2010's manual was wrong as well and was updated for 2011 onwards.

Just a thought, have you tried downloading the HP4 manual in pdf from the BMW motorrad german site, as it's updated quicker than the UK/US sites. It's worth one of you checking it and comparing to your own manual to see if the measurement position has changed.

Worth waiting for..bmw courtesey of my local dealership have sent me correct settings,for sag numbers.... FRONT & REAR preload settings ... existing manual
is incorrect.. pages 50 & 51 ... front wheel.. 5 - 10 mm with rider @ 85kg , rear wheel .. 8 - 12 mm with rider @ 85kg.. better now.

Worth waiting for..bmw courtesey of my local dealership have sent me correct settings,for sag numbers.... FRONT & REAR preload settings ... existing manual
is incorrect.. pages 50 & 51 ... front wheel.. 5 - 10 mm with rider @ 85kg , rear wheel .. 8 - 12 mm with rider @ 85kg.. better now.
Hi Jimbo,
are you saying that regardless of how much I weigh (78kg without kit) i will need to set the sag using the pre load adjustment? I have ordered an hp4 thinking that the electronic suspension would automatically adjust to suit? Oh, if I weighed 85kg with my kit, would I still need to check and adjust the sag to suit 5 to 10mm front and 8 to 12mm rear?

Hi Jimbo,
are you saying that regardless of how much I weigh (78kg without kit) i will need to set the sag using the pre load adjustment? I have ordered an hp4 thinking that the electronic suspension would automatically adjust to suit? Oh, if I weighed 85kg with my kit, would I still need to check and adjust the sag to suit 5 to 10mm front and 8 to 12mm rear?

dear HP44...I'm no expert but these basic settings should be done on all bikes , that's why they are in the manual. Once the base settings are done for you the elcetroinics will sort the rest out for a better ride.. BMW will correct the settings printed in updated manuals for the HP , the one's i've quoted above are the new settings to be printed on pages quoted.If you are in any doubt contact your service dealer. merry xmas.

Yup - HP4 has semi-active damping, not preload. The only thing right now that does preload is the Aprilia Caponord (and I think that's only on the shock, to account for pillions and luggage)

Just to chime in again, the manual regarding the S1000 suspension is very poor. Sounds to me like the HP4 sag is awful too.

The S1000 manual states 10-15ml front and 20-25ml rear. This is poor for 2 reasons, firstly that stiff setting is okay for a smooth track but will break your back on roads and the manual only tells you to measure rider sag, BMW are ignoring free sag settings.

After a year of using BMW measurements I reverted to the tradition way of measuring sag correctly and have 30ml front with 5ml free sag and 30ml rear with 8ml free sag.

this website is abit retro now but I've found it helps explain in it simple terms to people who've never messed with suspension before.
http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

Just to chime in again, the manual regarding the S1000 suspension is very poor. Sounds to me like the HP4 sag is awful too.

The S1000 manual states 10-15ml front and 20-25ml rear. This is poor for 2 reasons, firstly that stiff setting is okay for a smooth track but will break your back on roads and the manual only tells you to measure rider sag, BMW are ignoring free sag settings.

After a year of using BMW measurements I reverted to the tradition way of measuring sag correctly and have 30ml front with 5ml free sag and 30ml rear with 8ml free sag.

this website is abit retro now but I've found it helps explain in it simple terms to people who've never messed with suspension before.
http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

Chaps , just to reiterate the original 2013 version of the HP04 manual on pages 50 & 51 have been corrected by bmw and should now be...

front wheel.. 5 - 10 mm with rider @ 85kg , rear wheel .. 8 - 12 mm with rider @ 85kg.

And are you HP4 owners using those sag settings? and if so whats your free sag measurements.

The demo HP4 that was at my local dealer was set at 25ml front and back for 97kg rider (the weight of the service guy who sat on it when mechanic was doing the measurements)

I can only imagine how harsh 5mm on the front feels on are british roads.

just to recap , ensure bike is unladed & correct tyre pressures for what you need,ie:track or road , ensure engine is running, then set preload as per the new manual instructions , have a friend or girlfirend on hand to help with measuring.
Once done bike preload base setting is done for you , on riding the electronics will then work from those base setup settings more efficiently for your wieght ... works for me :fat:

ps: ensure you have riding kit on when setting up.

on riding the electronics will then work from those base setup settings more efficiently for your wieght ... works for me :fat:

But the DDC only controls damping and can't effect the preload.

suppose I can't really comment without riding a HP4 set up via the manual (the one I road the dealer ignored the manual) but 5/10mm front sag goes against 20 years of suspension set up for sport bikes

Thanks for that, I will check with the dealer before I pick the bike up and keep everyone on here posted with how helpful the dealer was and what the bike is like. Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

On the general subject of suspension setup (that we weren't actually on....), did anyone get their suspension setup by the dealer when they got their (brand new) bike? It never occurred to me until i got my suspension done and felt the difference that it should have been part of the handover, but i now think it should be. We pay enough for the bike after all, and i was shocked what a difference it made...and i'm 85kg, so theoretically the bike should have arrived ideally setup for me, according to factory settings...

On the general subject of suspension setup (that we weren't actually on....), did anyone get their suspension setup by the dealer when they got their (brand new) bike? It never occurred to me until i got my suspension done and felt the difference that it should have been part of the handover, but i now think it should be. We pay enough for the bike after all, and i was shocked what a difference it made...and i'm 85kg, so theoretically the bike should have arrived ideally setup for me, according to factory settings...

In general, and in my experience, dealers no jack sh1t about suspension set up. Better off doing it yourself.

In general, and in my experience, dealers no jack sh1t about suspension set up. Better off doing it yourself.

Haha how feggin true is that Jon ..!!! As you well know, my 900 mile 2012 came with the preload, both front AND back, wound in tight against the stop,no further adjustment possible and took a fair pull on both the hex spanner to the fronts and on the c-spanner,a non BMW one, cos I guess most of you will know ,those don't actually fit your bike without fettling them a bit,.......

Next stop, more local Dealer on an Open Day to" kindly " set static sag on it and the chap given the bike in the workshop promptly set about jacking the bike's weight up from the cruddy catalytic converter with no block of wood/ cushioning and/or load spreading protection, until I basically moved him aside and got him to lift handlebars with me while Jon took appropriate measurements,FRONT and back, with and without rider and we then put in the appropriate settings using the tools available - in a word , totally clueless......!!!! Not sure which one was the most unbelievable, I,'ll call it a draw....

Back