Should I sell and upgrade?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRR

Reaction score
Hi, in a bit of bother...

Ive just bought a 2011 Thunder Grey with 2500's on the clock with FSH, privately. The BMW warranty ran out a month ago... With all the issues listed with these bikes im wondering if I should trade it in for a 2012+ from a main dealer to get the cover and piece of mind? Im worried about corrosion in some areas and without the warranty cover it could be pricey, although with the FSH and last service 400 miles ago, surely any issue would have been seen! Would it more cost effective to just go to a dealer and upgrade because of warranty and repairs?

What do you guys think?

Ive been on the phone to some local dealers and im looking at around £8500 PX and a low mileage 2012 would be £11000 ish. I would lose money at that PX value too...

What to do... what to do....

Cheers

If you want one then yes. If you are doing it because of a few horror stories then probably not.

Also consider a third party warranty from someone like Warranty Direct (disclaimer - never used them, so it's not personal recommendation) I believe they cover more than the offical warranty and don't need to follow on from the factory one, just need to have a full service history. That's as I understand - worth a check-out though, rather than losing money chopping a bike, just because of the warranty.

UPDATE:

Just been on the phone to the BMW warranty boffins who informed that that I dont need a quote as it was covered... this confused me so they put me through to customer services who then explained it... My bike came from 'BMW approved used' which gives a 3rd year manufacturers warranty!! I also popped the question on extended warranties and its £320 with them. They also changed me to the owner of the bike on their books.

not bad eh? good result!

the 2012 bikes appear to have more issues than the 2011 bikes so what would you gain?
Stick with it , by the way the 3rd year of warranty is shit , I know this through personal experience.
they wouldnt replace my shitty petrol cap , they said it was corrosion......no fucking shit!!!!!! sharp lads them Germans

Really, so it's going to cost you a minimum of £2.5k to get a 2012 (not withstanding the depreciation you would have suffered on the current bike in the first place). Which of the issues you fear is going to cost you more than £2.5k to put right IF it ever happens; as N30 found out you can pick up a whole engine for around £1k.

As the good Dr said, don't worry just ride!!

DD

haha point taken guys... I was just in a bit of a flap earlier, Dave is right, it would be too expensive.

regardless, I have now secured warranty with bmw

Maybe you should take it all to pieces and measure them with a vernier to check conformance ;)
Are you a worrier matey

Lol! You arse lol!

I am a bit of a worrier yes, simply because I bought the bike out of my own hard earned savings, it's a lot of money to mess up with so yeah I do worry about it. Can't help it I guess.

It is now covered by warranty and booked in for a health check a Norwich BMW anyway now so I'm not as panicky as I was!

You should see me cleaning the bloody thing! OCD or what!!! Lol

Had my S Thou since May of 2010. I broke it in hard the first 4 miles I put on it. Rode it from Germany back to England. It's been in the rain and sun but always garage kept. The only issue I had with the bike, that has over 8+ miles, was the high beam switch going bad twice.

My 2011 is used all weather everyday (mostly short 10 miles trips), 7000+ miles on it now. had the sump off last week when fitting decat pipe to give it a good clean and remove any file shavings, no corrosion what so ever.

Back