Ohlins shock springs... What are the numbers?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm in need of a new spring for my ohlins shock as I've lost a fair amount of weight so now, even with the preload wound right off, its still too firm.

The question I have is, what number of the three printed on the spring relates to the weighting and what does it represent (kg)? I just want to make sure I get one that's softer than what I have.

Cheers

DD

From memory you should have a number layout like:

xxxx-xx/YY xxxx

The YY bit is the spring rate and would read, for eg, 95 for a 9.5 N/mm spring

I've got the 95 at the moment and with no preload at all, I'm only getting 23mm of sag. Do I take it from the above I should be going for the 85?

I've stuck an offer in as a punt any how... Lets see!

Aye, probably just under 11.5 stone geared up.

Winding the new forks all the way off gives me about 38mm which is within tolerance and feels good (no room for adjustment though) so they will probably need springing at some point. But the rear feels way off, I'd like to get an adjustment level between mid 20's to mid 30's as the quality of roads around here are outrageous at the moment and it'll give me a little play as/when she goes to a track.

The ohlins owners manual suggests

Front 35-50mm
Rear 25-40mm

I weight 78 kg and have 9.5 in the front and a 8.5 in the rear, feels really good on the road and pretty solid on track although I'm not the quickest in track.

Back