Hello from Northampton - UK

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hampy

Reaction score
Hello All,

It is great to see such interest on the UK S1000RR forum. Thanks to you all.

I originally joined last year but found little time to post, or review the chat and camaraderie due to work commitments. But thought It is time to have ago :D.
I must say at this point that it almost did not happen - as having typed this out once I lost it somewhere between "preview Post" and "Submit new thread" :stupid: Hope I get the hang of it this time. I keep seeing an autosaved note pop up so I may need some help at some point.

Like many I first became interested in BMW when they announced their intent to break into motorcycle racing, and I can remember dribbling over the prototype S1000RR at the NEC show 12 months or so before the launch. I was sold on the bike after a test ride from from the local dealers (Wollaston Motors - great guys) and collected my pride and joy almost three years ago to this day. What a memory, Great fun - it was sunny :eagerness:. I can remember the headstock repeatedly hitting me under the chin before the anti wheelie kicked in, thinking what have I brought. I did finally get round to reading the manual and found slick mode! That sorted it.

However, I am embarrassed at the low mileage on my pride and joy as I prepare for the first MOT.

Up until then I had owned a number of motorcycles from a BSA Bantum in my early days (Yes I am old), through the Japanese marks ending up with a preference for V Twins, including an XBR12R and SP1 and a Blackbird for two up riding or eating up road miles. I enjoy road riding and track days and have been riding on an off for over 40 years.

I did read somewhere on one of the forums a thread trying to establish the oldest S1000RR rider. Can't remember the results but I was well up there :victorious:

My interests include SBK, Moto GP, Riding with the wife (on our VFR 800 - I said I was getting on a bit), construction engineering, motorcycle technology and the odd track day when I am up to it!

I have great respect for all you guys who find the time to engage and post on the forums, really enjoy some of the topics and look forward to meeting some of you in the future.

Stay safe all,
Martin

Nice post
So c'mon then Martin , how old are you ?
Thanks fatbob.
I must have hit the right button in the profile page! But as you have asked so nicely, 58.
Sometimes I feel 23, at others 73 :D

I must be up your way this weekend with the inlaws - Chesterfied. 4 wheels though unfortunately.
Take care

Hey, welcome, c'mon in and put yr feet up. Its a great site.
Thanks Bananaman. I intend to visit the forum every couple of days if my scheule allows.

I know a great fella somewhere down in your county. Fast R1 pilot through and through for years until converting to S1k in late summer of 2010. Used to instruct at Lydd. Might you know him? I won't refer to him by name as unsure of forum etiquete. We have not met since No Limits Le Mans August 2011.

Take care and be safe.

Yes, great guy, think you mean Lydden, i'm quite close to there and he still instructs there as well.

Lydden it is - definitely having a 73 moment!

Please pass on my regards if you see him. I think it would warrant a Tarzan call in the Maz skip if it is the same guy.

He may remember me. I will never forget the look on his face down at Mas dus Clos in 2010 as we ate dinner. I had the S1k then and he received an email photo of his new one that had just arrived in the dealers for collection. He was elated, until I mentioned I had a bit of trouble with the rear wheel axle (that BMW sorted) just before I left for France. The look on his his face changed from elation to horror! If that does not jog his memory then the Buell XB12R I tracked at the same circuit 2 or three years earlier may do.

Best regards,

Thanks fatbob.
I must have hit the right button in the profile page! But as you have asked so nicely, 58.
Sometimes I feel 23, at others 73 :D

I must be up your way this weekend with the inlaws - Chesterfied. 4 wheels though unfortunately.
Take care

Welcome to the site. If your in Chesterfield on the bike give me a shout its my home town, can have a run around the peak district

Welcome to the site. If your in Chesterfield on the bike give me a shout its my home town, can have a run around the peak district

Thanks ekdg, its a welcoming forum.
Rarely get to ride bike up your way as we visit family and can't get them all on the bike for a night out at The Winding Wheel!

I'll give you a shout and try to sort a meet sometime - ride out to SMC for a burger or bacon butty?
Take care,
M

Hello there hampy!

Welcome back......and I'm a little lax on here sometimes too!

I'm northampton too. Also got mine from Wollaston (Steve W)!

Have to catch up sometime, as I don't know any other guys to ride with this close.

Cheers!!!

Back