Difference with Ohlins

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niven770

Reaction score
Posted below are 4 pictures. The first 2 are of my rear tyre from my last track day last year. The later 2 are from my 1st track day this year.
The difference between days is that I fitted Ohlins over the winter.

Standard suspension 1

Standard suspension 2

Ohlins 1

Ohlins 2

Not saying it's all down to Ohlins and maybe the wear could have been dialed out of the standard suspension but the difference is obvious.
It's the same tyre by the way.

Regards
Davy

1st two look like cold tear to me ('specially the 2nd) 3rd looks like mine with a 'proper' (origonal) set up. I know it all depends how you ride and if higher spec sussies give you more confidence then its all worthwhile. Ive just changed to k-tec @ the front i'm already feeling better and havnt even tested it yet lol

Hi Bananaman,
Never used warmers for either day, only change is the suspension so i'm not sure it's cold tear. If anything the 1st 2 pics were on a much warmer day than the 2nd 2 which would potentially reduce cold tear.
Like you say if it gives you confidence, even when its not moving, that's a positive :)
Interested to hear how you go with your k-tecs.

Davy

Godzilla,

Excellent video and very informative. Based on that it looks like overheating due to low tyre pressures and a little too slow rebound on the 1st 2 pics.
2nd 2 pics look pretty ok.

Thanks
Davy

Did you watch the video before you made that comment ?? And what are the to many variables that prevent comparing ?

Last edited:
I think he means track temperature, warmers , pressure , suspension Rider ability/style
At first I also thought it looked like cold tear
But that is a good video that made me reconsider

Off topic of tyre but on topic of suspension.

I'm a Shrek sized rider.. And have had K-tech springs and valves done in front along with a 15w oil, based on Dave Moss (guy from above video) recommendations for the S1000. Oh my god what a difference. I always in past used Racetech or Ohlins, but I'm actually very impressed with the K-tech stuff.

The rear shock is actually man to take me at 22 stone with 22mm rider sag (without gear).

I know my way around suspension being my size i've also had to get it done but i'm far from a guru. Watched a video by Dave Moss awhile back and he says the OEM front shocks are awful and need work, but the rear shock is actually very good and "expensive" after market options aren't worth the £££'s for the average track day goer.

Off topic of tyre but on topic of suspension.

I'm a Shrek sized rider.. And have had K-tech springs and valves done in front along with a 15w oil, based on Dave Moss (guy from above video) recommendations for the S1000. Oh my god what a difference. I always in past used Racetech or Ohlins, but I'm actually very impressed with the K-tech stuff.

The rear shock is actually man to take me at 22 stone with 22mm rider sag (without gear).

I know my way around suspension being my size i've also had to get it done but i'm far from a guru. Watched a video by Dave Moss awhile back and he says the OEM front shocks are awful and need work, but the rear shock is actually very good and "expensive" after market options aren't worth the £££'s for the average track day goer.

That's true, but some of us are brand whores and love upgrades even if its just Bling.

Back