Newbie from Cheshire

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RammyRR

Reaction score
Hi there to everyone prepared to read new member's posts, like mine!

Joined the forum after getting my 12 model in Motorsport colours this week, in a previous life I rode a succession of Fireblades but I had to give in to all the excitement in the press and jump aboard the S1000 to see what it's all about - and after a cold 260 mile return journey to chuck the 'Blade in & pick it up I can say I've seen the light!

It generated a small group of admirers when I was warming up in the M6 toll road services, a drunk bloke asked why anyone would want to get on the postage stamp rear seat but this begged the question of why would I want them there, and since my missus's busy mothering the kids then this debate had no future!

One question - in another life I'm a racing cyclist and weigh around 62 kg, the Beemer's suspension is set up as standard but it's pretty well taut and was punting me out of the seat more than any of my 'Blades did, so does anyone else find their S thou's on the stiff side?

Second issue - with the exception of the tools attached under the rear seat I can't find the tool kit, so with this being a main dealer bike then I assume I'll need to request one?

Nice little food storage area under the rear seat I notice, suitable for someone on 500 kcal a day!

hi and welcome, the only tools that come with the bike are the little set thats under the seat.

There should be a tool kit , I would ask
A for 62 kg , wtf!!!!!! Have you never heard of pies for fucks sake ;)
I found my bike soft , so I changed mine , though the 2012 is supposed to be slightly firmer due to its slower performance than the 2011 bikes ;)

Cheers for the replies. Pies - yes, beer - yes, all generally unhealthy foodstuffs - yes! I just keep training & I'm the (very slightly) south side of 5"7, hence the lack of huge mass.

The suspension issue I need some decent A road miles to understand, and possibly rule out rather than soften the bike up. I'll chase the dealer for a tool kit as it's clear some have them and some don't. Cheers

Welcome to the forum dude, that bike is gonna shift with you on it!!! Hope you've got a good grip! :D

62 k's is obscene ! You could sit on the front mudguard and it would still come up ...
Hi, get used to it, put a few miles on it then think about adjustments. You havnt got slitty eyes have you? :wink-new:

Mine is 3 months old and I'm 100kg and I have the preload on the front forks wound right off and I can still only get 8mm of sag

Hi, if it helps I am 70kg and also found it a bucking bronco on the settings I got from the dealer.

Changed the following, which works for me.

Front
Static sag 28mm
Rider sag 29mm
Rebound 1
Compression 1

Rear
Static sag 14mm
Rider sag 30mm
Rebound 9 clicks
Compression low 3
Compression high 5

I am sure this might generate comment both good/bad but WTF it works for me.

Back