Dunlop D211 GP Racer N-TEC's or Racetec Interact K3's - Thoughts??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoops

Reaction score
Ive got to put some new rubber on pretty soon - ive got a track day at Snetterton on April 29th - im expecting the temps and conditions to be very similar to what they are now - they are supposedly predicting the weather to improve and get warmer towards the end of April but who bloody knows and Michael Fish im not!!

SO i've decided to either stick to the Racetec Interact K3's or try the Dunlop D211 GP Racer N-Tec's - but i cant decide.

Ive found a set of K3's for £239 delivered and a set of D211's for £249 delivered.

The reason I'm interested in the Dunlops is because ive heard they heat up quickly and are slightly more grippy than the K3's?

However, what does concern me is apparently they may not be totally compatible with the Beemers DCT and may be more prone to tearing as they dont like to be spun up too much??

Now, at Cadwell i was mostly in RACE mode which still allows some DCT (if im not mistaken?) - but if the weather is warmer and its dry at Snetterton then im almost definitely going to stick the plug in and ride in SLICK mode which i understand is everything OFF and NO traction control - correct?

Decisions, decisions! Any thoughts from guys who have tried the Dunlops on track this time of year would be greatly appreciated.

My 2012 still has DTC and ABS in slick mode. I like the Dunlops but I haven't tried them on the BMW yet.

I'd like to know whether the DTC and ABS still works in Slick Mode - i thought Slick Mode was everything OFF?? I cant see why the 2010 and 2012 models would be any different in this aspect?? Anyone know for sure??

And i think i may just stick with the K3's as ive heard that a lot of the guys running the D211's and D212's are constantly fiddling and adjusting their tyre pressures all day and to be honest once ive set them cold and then checked them once or twice through the day thats enough for me - or maybe im just lazy!!!

My 2012 still has DTC and ABS in slick mode. I like the Dunlops but I haven't tried them on the BMW yet.

Reading the manual - would i be right in thinking that even WITH the bike plugged into SLICK mode you still need to manually turn DCT off on the button on the handlebar??

All modes have electronic intervention. The further away from Rain mode you get the more you need to do to get the intervention happen. If you want zero intervention Hoops is correct.....turn it off.

D

Seems strange though that in the Slick mode - which you have to plug in via a special adaptor etc - that you still have to take things off - but still, at least i know now.

I think if the rear ABS wasn't inhibited in slick they wouldn't even bother with a special plug, prob for legal reasons!

Think the opinion is that once you plug in the slick stick you lose idiot mode lol Manual states (i think) slick should only be used with race tyres (read slick) and on track in race conditions not on road thats why it has to be physically fitted. Would ins companies rant about an accident if it was found to be in slick mode (or off) on the road? dunno, just a thought.....

I ride on the road with slick installed and selected full time (weather permitting), IMO it gives a better feel to the ride without horrendous power interupts whenever the wheel gently lifts off the ground! I really dont like bunny hopping down the road and in Lincs the bumpy roads tend to flick the front wheel up for fun. But funnily enough I had race selected for Cadwell as you can lean on the rider aids and the track had no traction whatsoever. After tomorrows BMW Donny session I should have a better understanding of what you can get away with in both respects (ABS/TC). I think Slick makes the BMW feel more raw like my old gixxer used to but might be my imagination, I mean its full power on both race and slick but traction is inhibited until you reach certain lean angles (am I right).

Good luck tomorrow fella and look forward to hearing how you get on. It was bloody snowing most of the day here today!!!

Think you should be ok - but take snow chains for your tyres fella just in case!!!!

I ran the 211s last year. Grip on track was stunning in warm conditions but it was hard to get them up to and kept at temperature in cooler conditions. On the road they were just poor. I would stick with the K3s.

Thanks fella - to be honest ive written off the idea of the Dunlops and bizarrely for the exact reason you mention above (keeping the temps up if its still going to be super cold on track)

So - i now can't decide between going for the K3's - OR - going for a K1 front and K2 rear set up???

I remember the first time I sampled the K3s and it was on a cold February day, slightly damp and about 3deg. I was expecting a horror story but the grip was all there. I would have no qualms running them this time of year on track. I only used Pirellis DRCs last year instead because I can get nearer 2000 more miles out of them and they were cheaper.

Thanks fella - im yet to hear anything negative about the K3's - BMW obviously knew what they were doing.

I remember the first time I sampled the K3s and it was on a cold February day, slightly damp and about 3deg. I was expecting a horror story but the grip was all there. I would have no qualms running them this time of year on track. I only used Pirellis DRCs last year instead because I can get nearer 2000 more miles out of them and they were cheaper.
Same here :smile-new:

Think the opinion is that once you plug in the slick stick you lose idiot mode lol Manual states (i think) slick should only be used with race tyres (read slick) and on track in race conditions not on road thats why it has to be physically fitted. Would ins companies rant about an accident if it was found to be in slick mode (or off) on the road? dunno, just a thought.....

Totally wrong. Why is it some people make slick out to be some form if riding god's mode for MotoGP riders with slick tyres only, coupled with an airbag racing suit and Vale's wages. It's horse shit. I ride slick all the time, in the wet too if I get caught in it. It definitely provides more feel and makes the whole riding experience more "pure". A bike can only go as fast as your right wrist wants it too, slick mode does not disconnect the ability to vary throttle inputs.

MotoGP is losing its "artists" to the analogue riders reliant on electronics to keep them in the seat. Why should road bikes be the same?

Back