Knee down

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Reaction score
Come on, spill the beans! Which ones of you have / haven't achieved this on the road yet?

I'll be the first to admit that I am currently a Knee Down virgin. But I'm going for it first thing tomorrow morning.

Found a beautiful sweeping 70mph corner at the bottom of Ex where the A30 joins the M5. It goes around 270 degrees. I went round it a few times today and got really close to touch down!

Chicken stips are down to about 4mm on both sides, and I have obscenely long legs, so I'm pretty confident about doing it tomoz.

If anyones got some gd tips would like to hear also :D

Local Roundabouts are easy place to scrape the slidders, get tyres warm (no problem with K3s) One circuit to make sure there's no diesel spills , then off you go. ;D
Alternativly find a nice sweeping bend ( I prefer right handers)
;)

Yea i'll have to find a nice quiet roundabout somewhere.

Don't know why but I've always preferred left handers. Most people i speak to prefer rights. Maybe its coz im left handed!

One tip don't hang too much cheek off or your body position will start twisting into the bike and it will never happen.

I found my newly acquired s1000 quite easy to tip over, don't forget push those bars into the corner and the bikewill dive further than u know

I would say just be careful :eek:, seen people go out on their bike to 'knee down' and even with their pegs touching they have a chicken strip on the tyre (some profiles will always have a small strip left - albeit on track it might be different), so they assume they can lean even further......crash! :-\

my advice would be to do a track day and learn it there , thats where i picked it up or a stretch of road where you can see your exits , Cat and fiddle near where i live is a prime example and track wise for me would be anglesey where you can wear out both sliders in a day , in fact its so grippy you can do it in the wet also.

be careful on them roundabouts ;D

And check for Rozzers they take a very dim view of it because its not big or clever apparently.

Got to agree with bob trackdays are the place. knee down for speed is cool, knee down on a round about for a picture or to brag down the pub forget it.

never went out intentionally to get knee down , if your going to get your knee down then it WILL happen at some piont but it all depends on your riding style and ability ,dont hold stock with advice from anyone , its your bike ,your call and if your willing to keep pushing for knee down , then good luck fella, just keep it shiny side up :D

Done loads of track days on my GSXR, been to the RING 3 times(70 Laps), knee down on all the tracks , happened twice on the road :)... like others have said, roundabouts, they can actually lean over more than U think :)

I wont even try to get my knee down on the road, If I can get around the corner quick enough without it, that's good for me.
I cant even get it down on track, well once a little bounce, I thought what the F was that LOL, however saying that when I watched a recent on track vid of myself it looked like I had done, but I can say nope. 8)

Me playing on a roundabout but it's not big and it's not clever ::)

Richroundabout-1-1.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Not the road but Snetterton
GregsToy2.jpg

What was Sears corner circa 2000 on the trusty and thirsty Firestorm.

SnettertonJul2011.jpg

Montreal which was Sears this year. Easier on the S.

Back