Tyres!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockets

Reaction score
Expecting quite a few opinions on this![/size]I've had my S1000RR awesome machine since 1 Mar 2012(spanker) and love it. Second rear tyre has just about had it now so as its the third one was thinking of replacing the front aswell.Majority of my riding is road at week ends I guess but do about half a dozen track days a year.Last year clocked up 1400 miles on a trip to Fort William and round and about. Also a 1700mile trip t[size=1em]o France.[/size]Have done nearly 8000miles now and the standard BMW recommended Conti Sport Attack 2's have been well planted in all weathers and filled me full of confidence. Cant say anything bad about them if I'm honest. Scrubbed them in properly and gave them a good ragging at Snet several times this summer wet, dry and even hot once!However, every article I have read seems to slag them off or people change them at the earliest opportunity.Race tecs seem to be the favourite for the track but maybe not great alround?Would be interested to hear what other SK1 riders have experienced with their tyre choices before I fork out again.Look forward to your responses!

My 2011 came with the Contis although if you've got the latest version they are a big improvement apparently. I took mine off however before doing its first trackday as even I could get them to spin in the dry and I'm no racer. I've settled on Pirelli DRCs which have clocked up 3000 miles and two trackdays so far and tick all the boxes for me.

I ride mine on fast road only and find the dunlop sportsmart just the job :) my rear has done 4800 mile and is nearly shagged , i will be replacing it with the same ;)

Billy

Ahh the eternal question of tyre choice.....
Preference is the major factor but for road work in all weathers you cant go far wrong with the michelin pilot power 2ct's . I find them the most predictable tyres out there & cos of the major miles i do in a year the best grip/wear trade off. The one problem you get is that the touring tyres are not a recommended fitment cos of power/weight etc, so most tyre places wont fit them, so you have to go for the harder sport tyres. The soft tyres are great for the sunshine, short journey and track day stuff, but if you want to do serious miles and don't want to change tyres every two weeks then go for the dual compound more road biased ones. :)

Metzler interacts are a cracking all round tyre,but i do love the k3's tbh

I'm a K3 man, but if you're happy with Conti Sport Attack 2's why not stick with them. :)

Back