Suspension

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Talking to Perry at HM racing about sorting my front sussy's, cant warrent spending k's on it due to me not being good enough to appreciating the benefits but def needing an upgrade :-[ . Worked out that he could fit a k-teck re-valve and piston(i think) for 600squid all in inc set up etc. He said that he was having good feedback with this....

Yes, had it done when i first got it, he said then that it was maxed out and done 12k since. Now it will be used mainly for track days so need to sort it....

after talking to colin from 100% he said theres not enough adjustment on the oe stuff.the rear was way too hard on its softest setting and the front is also wound right out with no adjustment left.one thing he did say is that nearly every beemer with oe suspention he had done recently was different.there were no standard settings.ive gone ttx rear and next it will be either the ohlins or ktech cartridge kit.both get good reviews but i have heard the ktech is slightly better.

Keith MCT which are only in Stowmarket did a full monty front and back on mine for less than £500 and they can make the forks work with out shelling out on branded kits. Honestly the difference is night and day.

Should have mine back next week
Ended up getting bitubo for mine , will let you know if its any cop when it's warmer

Been wondering about this exact same question. I've been told by a suspension guy that the standard suspension is good enough even for track use so if you want anything better then it's down to a 30mm ohlins cartridge & TTX rear. Problem is that's some serious money.

When people are talking about suspension being maxed out, what do you mean & why is it maxed out? Are you trying to stop the forks from bottoming under braking, are they really bottoming? Anyone looked at changing oil weight & quantity or spring rates?

By maxed out its everything as far as it can go and the forks are still not responding in a non-brown pants condition. To put it in context I had the compression and rebound on 10 and the forks were still diving too quickly and springing back up too fast. My forks have been revalved with longer springs at the same rate and the same weight but better quality oil and my track settings are now 6. The standard forks get coil bound at near full compression rather than hit the stops thats the swimmy feeling on the brakes thats why the new springs are longer but the spacer are cut down to compensate.

The stock front forks are very poor. If your above 14 st, they are pretty much only good for the bin if your running a decent pace. Your forks are the weakest point. As said on other forums, the shock really isn't that bad. Your better off doing the shocks first.

Have you ridden the bike yet ?

I haven't even got the bike yet so no not ridden it. Had been told the opposite that the forks with standard springs oil etc were fine even up to 16 stone but rear shock needed replacing. Bloke had ridden standard & 30mm ohlins back to back & could only find very slight difference, mid corner with better feel of tyre from the ohlins.

What shall I do next if on track day after coming of the bend on Brands to start/finish straight on 3rd and roll on acceleration I get shaky front with all settings set on 8 I'm apparently perfect 80Kg s1KRR rider.

paul1098 link=topic=2010.msg18727#msg18727 date=1359070202 said:
I haven't even got the bike yet so no not ridden it. Had been told the opposite that the forks with standard springs oil etc were fine even up to 16 stone but rear shock needed replacing. Bloke had ridden standard & 30mm ohlins back to back & could only find very slight difference, mid corner with better feel of tyre from the ohlins.

Ride it first, then think about suspension and make your own mind up. Your always going to get different opinions. Some people know what they are talking about, a lot don't.

Im 19 stone and to lug all that round Donington in under 1 min 45 seconds gives the standard forks and shock springs a right head ache.

Cant wait to try my Ohlins stuff later in the year to see what difference it makes to the feel and the lap times ;D

Back