Carbon wheels

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockets

Reaction score
Anyone forked out for carbon wheels yet?
If so are they easy enough to fit ie:Sprocket,[size=78%]Discs, ABS plate etc.[/size]
Does it make any difference to traction control?
I have 2012 model and not prepared to indulge in an HP4 - well not yet anyway! ;D
Would appreciate any feedback/comments - Cheers!

I've got BST's-you can use your standard discs,although mine have Braking Discs,
Talon do the sprockets.
If you buy from HPS they will sort it all for you.
The wheels don't affect traction control at all.

I wanted everything(discs,abs rings etc)so I had my std wheels spare for wets
Speak to HPS-they do some good deals

You can easily get carried away and have titanium disc bolts(I did!) and ceramic bearings(I did draw the line there though-although the spinning wheel video is impressive).

Yes,carbon wheels are expensive,but they make a mahoooosive difference and they fetch good money secondhand.

I got the carbon wheels too, love them, took a while to adjust the suspension to compensate for the faster turning in but fantastic overall. The biggest noticible difference of anything i've ever done to a bike.

If your going to be using the carbon wheels on the road, I'd probably think twice about buying them. Perfect for track use, however for road use, one pot hole could easily crack the CF.

Will certainly make a bit difference to the handling though :)

Yes - point taken about the pot hole issue but they must be reasonably robust
due to their width?
I know carbon push bike wheels are very brittle but they are wafer thin!
Will speak to HPS and BST for their take on it.
Anymore comments most welcome

sockets link=topic=1984.msg18327#msg18327 date=1358421228 said:
Yes - point taken about the pot hole issue but they must be reasonably robust
due to their width?
I know carbon push bike wheels are very brittle but they are wafer thin!
Will speak to HPS and BST for their take on it.
Anymore comments most welcome

BST and HPS will tell you they will be fine as the make and supply them.

As above, OZ or any other Forged wheels will be the best bet. Half the price of Carbon too

Be warned that if you damage a wheel it cannot be repaired, so would become an expensive ornament - puts me off straight away. To be honest some forged mags are just as light. :)

andybarsblade link=topic=1984.msg18334#msg18334 date=1358431937 said:
But not as strong

True, really a case of get what you fancy and take your chances. :)

I had a forged alloy wheel repaired.It cost me £75!

I only use the BST's on track.TBH I would cry if I hit a pothole using them on the road.

However,HPS told me,if they are damaged,BST/HPS will do a special deal(!)rebuilding using your hub etc.or exchange.I suppose that's the best they can do-still going to cost as much as a new forged alloy wheel though.

Magnesium wheels have a limited lifespan for racing which will,no doubt,be shorter for road use.

Carbon wheels are much lighter than forged alloy wheels and whilst there may be little difference,in weight,to mag wheels the weight of the carbon wheel is in the hub not the rim which improves rotational mass no end.

the oe bmw wheels are very light.is there any other reason barr bling for the change.no point in getting alloy aftermarket wheels (no lighter).mag and carbon will be slightly lighter.ive had bst's and there very strong,no issues with mine and i went through plenty of pot holes.ive been looking at wheels but need the front suspention sorting first.

r25sti link=topic=1984.msg18358#msg18358 date=1358451518 said:
the oe bmw wheels are very light.is there any other reason barr bling for the change.no point in getting alloy aftermarket wheels (no lighter).

OZ Racing wheels are lighter, i checked it out before i bought a set. I could certainly feel the difference in the front end.

i noticed the difference on my gixer 1000 after fitting the bst's,a massive difference but the bigger difference was after refitting the oe wheels when i was selling it.the bike was soooo much more stable with the oe wheels,yes not as flickerble but held its line loads better.i personally wouldnt bother with lighter wheels on a road bike again having said that the oe wheels on my brutale are already light marchies.obviously fit lighter wheels on track bikes and ive got marchies on my gixer and cant afford some mag wheels for the beemer yet.

r25sti link=topic=1984.msg18377#msg18377 date=1358456905 said:
i noticed the difference on my gixer 1000 after fitting the bst's,a massive difference but the bigger difference was after refitting the oe wheels when i was selling it.the bike was soooo much more stable with the oe wheels,yes not as flickerble but held its line loads better.i personally wouldnt both with lighter wheels on a road bike again having said that the oe wheels on my brutale are already light marchies.obviously fit lighter wheels on track bikes and ive got marchies on my gixer and cant afford some mag wheels for the beemer yet.

Wife's GIXER ;-)

Back