Taking the bike back to the dealer RUSTY CHAIN 850 miles old

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorsley

Reaction score
I am not happy with the quality of the standard chain I use a Dry PTFE lube as i don't want grease flying everywhere the bike has only 850 miles on it and the chain is showing signs of rust.

Oem chains always rust and are usually not plated and I had the same issue with mine
Be interested to know how you get on with that particular discussion ?

I would expect to be told to jog on. I am just about keeping mine shiny after 9000 miles. The problem is that is not anodised and dry lube won't protect it. Try some ACF50 on the side plates or wipe on a little white grease.

Sorry but i have to...

Chain_zps1da45c00.jpg

Untitled-1_zps782c59fb.jpg

african-bottle-shoes_zps12fdf890.jpg

;D

chorsley link=topic=1960.msg17959#msg17959 date=1357906676 said:
I am not happy with the quality of the standard chain I use a Dry PTFE lube as i don't want grease flying everywhere the bike has only 850 miles on it and the chain is showing signs of rust.
The OEM chains are made of monkey metal, mine went rusty at the mere thought of weather. Had to replace it after 18k, I lube after every ride & usually get at least 30k from a OEM jap chain. All wear & tear parts are down to the user im afraid, especially as its winter and all:(

"kin ell" those bloody wheelies are eating chains then or ave you gone for the race pitch! :eek:
I tend to go for the super heavy duty ones & use decent quality lubes.

I think bmw will laugh at you,its a throw away part imo but with good cleaning and oiling it should last a good few thousand miles ,maybe you should of spent abit more time on cleaning it after every ride ??? I always change the chain on any new bike with in a 1000 miles anyway as stock chains suck ass !!!

I use Wurth Dry Chain Lube and my chain is fine after 8000miles. Do you live near the coast? either that or your not using enough chain lube.

Don't use dry chain crap during winter. You need wet lube. Done 4.5k miles in all weathers and its looking ok

Back