bit worried

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIKERFRENZY

Reaction score
After some messing about I have ended up buying a new S1K and after my RSV factory I'm worried the BMW going to handle like a dog and the TCS/ABS will piss me off on the track..can somebody tell me I haven't made an expensive mistake.

the two best bikes at the moment are the rsv factory and the the s1000rr whichever one you ride you would of never nade a mistake!!

Depends on your style as well I suppose , it's a subjective subject
What tracks do you ride and how fast do you lap them ??
I'm a zillion miles away from the limits of my bike , though I know from experience I can go to fast round corners amd fall off :)

Why did you get shut of the rsv ?

The ABS DTC is an option, it's not a given. If you think it's going to intrude then turn it off, it's a 5 second job.

first questions gotta be what year is it? second, why did you buy a bike you werent sure you were going to be happy with mate?? can't see you been disappointed, rsv was my other option but didnt even test ride it because i couldnt sit on one in the show room and get comfy.. but i'm a big bloke,,,,,,,,,,,I SAID BIG NOT FAT YOU LOT ;)

Ask Biaggi and Melandri, only you can answer that, depends what you want out of yr ride. Ive not heard of any reports that it handles like a dog, as stated if yr that good turn the 'tronics off. I have a mate that goes faster(track) with it all off but think thats exceptional. Sounds like not a lot of thought has gone in to yr decision. Me? i love having the hand of god helping me keep my £'s upright ;D ;D

Hey,

Not really got an answer to your question but I do have an opinion.

I have had 2 RSV Factory's (V2's) and they were fantastic. Best confidence inspiring bikes I had been on (I've had a few CBR's, GSXr's Etc)

Prior to buying the S1K (2012) I did test ride the RSV4. In fact I test drove it twice as I did with the S1K

Both bikes were obviously very good. I felt at home right away with the RSV. The engine was better than the old V2's but the feeling was still the same. Real front end confidence, both wheels tracked the ground and seemed to be on the ground all the time. That would be the ohlins. Kinda saying it handled very well without the suspension being brick hard. I'm 6ft and it felt very comfortable and roomy.

The 1st S1K I test drive put me right off. It bucked all over the place, the induction roar was huge and the exhaust very noisy. A bit like a boy racer car...all noise an little progress. I later found out that this bike was "set up for the track", my arse someone had set it up wrong put suspension up really hard for a fat bloke, noisy exhaust and god knows what happened to the air box (this was a dealer demo btw).

I went straight back onto the Aprilia again....ahh bliss back home feeling good.

Decided to test drive another S1K at another dealer....wow what a difference. Bike was great...no need to go into details but did still lack a little front end feedback compared to the RSV.

The biggest difference is the engine....the RSV "feels" (cause it isn't) flat compared to the S1K. The S1K is every bit a fast V4 below 8k revs, above 10k its a totally different animal....the best of both worlds.

Another contributing factor was the RSV's physical size, where it was roomy to sit on and when riding...the bike is tiny....I saw a photo of myself on it and it was like a mini moto under me so that meant it was a nono for me.

I have the S1K and I am very happy with it. I bought rearsets to lower the pegs because I felt they were a bit high however after a few track days I have jacked them up again for ground clearance.

All in all I'm happy with my choice but..............I do have a bit of a hankering for a Ducati Panigale R or S.

Hope this helps
D

My RSV was the V2 factory and not an RSV4 the RSV was just stunning on tracks like Cadwell and Oulton with loads of front end feedback and super sharp steering and brakes but when you got it on Silverstone it was short on bhp down the straights. I tried a track demo of the 2009 S1K in the fast group at Silverstone and it felt like my old Super Blackbird and was slow to steer but very quick in a straight line. I have tried the RSV4 on the road and it was just like my RSV2 with smaller fairings and more power and maybe thats what I should have bought but I took the view that I had more chance of making the S1K handle better than I had of giving the RSV4 more power and as I'm getting older the S1K looks like it will be better for trips to Europe.
I have tried the 2012 S1K on cold wet roads and it was ok so I hope when I get it on the track it will be better than the old one.

OK
In direct comparison to the V2....

You have done the correct thing, the bike only lacks a little front end feeling compared to the V2. It turns as quickly but the power feels like double. the high revving thing will be alien to you to begin with but it soon becomes infectious.

You will be happy

Regards
D

If your RSV had been an APRC equipped V4 model then I'd say you've made a MASSIVE mistake - as it wasn't, you haven't ;)

You must have noticed the improved steering on the new bike over the earlier one.
If not,I can assure you it's a big improvement.

You also have the option to flip the eccentric top rear shock mount which will improve turn-in etc. and at no cost!

Yeah I thought you ment a v4 ,didn't read it properly
No have you bollox made a mistake ... Sheeesh

BIKERFRENZY link=topic=1941.msg17746#msg17746 date=1357419185 said:
.can somebody tell me I haven't made an expensive mistake.
You haven't made an expensive mistake... does that make you feel better? ;D

Bloody good choice of bike mate as we all know. You might want to make a few adjustments but it will be a great track (or road) Bike.
Enjoy.

I will flip the rear shock mount straight away, the steering must benefit from the adjustable damper and there is always the option of BST wheels when the finances have recovered, can anyone tell me about the options for the front forks? I guess I could be in the market for a cartridge kit at some point.
The plan is to do track days and tour Europe a few times followed by some club racing in a couple of years time:O)

Hi mate,

handling like a dog: Most will say that for track days the standard suspension is too soft.... i think that its preference. i have ridden on one of the BMW Park lane Track days,on a road bike with a number plate and a set of k2s and dipped into 48's on the indy...

Traction: i used slick mode all of the year that i was riding one in bsb slick, some racers said it was shit and turned it off...infact i used slick at mro in tsunami conditions and was doing 49s oh and using the abs!!!!!!!! (HOPPER CAN BACK THIS UP) , now dont get me wrong i wasn't on the podium at bsb, but this year on a ROAD suzuki i was there or there abouts before i launched the thing into the scenery, and i think the bmw slick mode is helpful more than a hindrance especially for saving a tyre!!!

rsv : its a beautiful bike, its mega to ride( if your jokey size) feels like a 600, but its got no go , and needs massive money spent on it to get it to big bhp...... and they are a knightmare if the electronics sh*t themselves.....

Mate you've done the right thing....

Ive only ridden a few mates aprilla's last one was the last of the rsv2's ones before the new rsv4 came out and i can honestly say the bmw wins it for me hands down ;)

Back