S1000RR - Reborn!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky

Reaction score
Having converted my BMW into a Cat-B write off in Aug 2012 :eek: , I managed to buy it back from the insurance with the intention of turning it into a dedicated track bike 8) . I still have a broken neck so I'm unable to ride still, but it gives me something to tinker on in the garage until such time as I can ride again.

Current specification is below (albeit I'm still waiting on the rear shock to arrive), although I haven't decided on what wheels and bodywork to go for as yet (no rush).

Will update and add pictures as I go along over the next few months. :)

BMW S1000RR Sport
Frame alignment checked and larger taper head bearings fitted (Motoliner)
Akroprovic Evolution Full Titanium Race System
Akroprovic Carbon Fibre Exhaust Hangar
Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Module
K&N 2-layer 'Race' Air Filter
Ohlins FGRT202 NIX Front Forks
Ohlins TTX MK2 Rear Shock
Ohlins Steering Damper
GB Racing Engine Crash Protectors
HM Racing Quick Shifter Plus
Alpha Racing Switchgear Setup
Alpha Racing Alloy Throttle Housing
Alpha Racing Quick Action Throttle
Alpha Racing Drilled Magnetic Sump Plug
Alpha Racing Drilled Oil Filler Cap Kit
Alpha Racing Fault Eliminator Kit
Gilles ACM Titanium Lock Nut
Lightech Chain Adjusters
Alloy Clock Fairing Race Bracket/or Stock (I have both options)
BMW HP Brake Levers
BMW HP Adjustable Rearsets
BMW Tinted Screen
Carbon Lorraine C59 Race Brake Pads
PVM Forged Alloy Wheels
PVM Racing Brake Discs
Racetec K3 Tyres
Cap-It Sport Tyre Warmers

Last edited:
Sounds good mate. Make sure you go for a decent race fairing, avoid CRC If you can. Had nothing but grief with them on mine.

Cheers dude, the Alpha is sounding good from what you said before...not sure about what sort of paintjob I would go for though. :)

Soo hard to decide on a paint job. It's taken me a good few months to decide, and I'm still not 100% sure.

I think I'm going to go for an IDM replica. Could change though lol

what did you pay for your forks ducky , still undecided about ohlins or bitubo ::)
apparently the MK2 TTX is allegedly much better than the old one , although they would say that wouldn't they......Its alot fucking dearer as well :eek:

fatbob link=topic=1928.msg17593#msg17593 date=1357125636 said:
what did you pay for your forks ducky , still undecided about ohlins or bitubo ::)
apparently the MK2 TTX is allegedly much better than the old one , although they would say that wouldn't they......Its alot fucking dearer as well :eek:

Upgrades that are cheaper? Now that WOULD be funny ;D

Hopper link=topic=1928.msg17588#msg17588 date=1357111010 said:
Got a mega painter. Would you like his number ?

Yes please :D

fatbob link=topic=1928.msg17593#msg17593 date=1357125636 said:
what did you pay for your forks ducky , still undecided about ohlins or bitubo
apparently the MK2 TTX is allegedly much better than the old one , although they would say that wouldn't they......Its alot fucking dearer as well

I got them from Harris Performance, about £2200 ish. I'm not sure on the TTX2 being that 'much' better, I just decided that if I'm buying a new shock I may as well get the current model. :)

So a few pictures, here is the bike after I got it home and removed most of the broken bits (the HP options etc were removed for insurance purposes). ;)

pre_rebuild_zps3e857e46.jpg

Then I fitted some new yokes and bearings (which were changed again for the taper ones during the alignment process).

triple_clamps_zps6d404a4c.jpg

Then once they were done I fitted the new forks and the old wheel (bent) so I could take it to Motoliner, I also had to strip out all the electrics and loom from the main frame (in case it needed to be straightened). Which is why you can see the loom folded over the subframe and taped down.

ready_for_alignment_zpsff433f4c.jpg

Once that process was done I could rebuild the bike :D . I had taken about 100 pictures of the bike before I stripped out the loom, that way I could see how it laid in the frame and what went where. So I started by laying the loom in place to get a rough idea where everything should go.

loom_zps6f32e5d6.jpg

And then fast forward on a couple of hours and I've reinstalled the brake pipes and all of the wiring/throttle bodies/airbox are neatly tie-wrapped back in place. I took this opportunity to fit the K&N filter also.

wiring_done_zpse9da2806.jpg

I've then fitted the replacement clock mounting (albeit I did buy an alloy race version, but haven't used it) and replacement clocks. I've still got to sort out the wiring at the front, but will look at that once I'm happy with the switchgear setup etc.
clock_mount_zps8c813552.jpg

Then I started to fit the new switchgear, this unit takes the 'mode' switch from the right hand side and keeps all the computer controls in one place. :)

stm_switchgear_zpsf49df57a.jpg

And a shot of how she sits at the moment, this was how I left it before Christmas so now that's out the way I'll be cracking on with fitting the rest of the components (albeit I couldn't resist fitting the GB covers). :)

rolling_bike_zps13d4466d.jpg

Fair play to you bud. That's a lot of work. The BM's are a funny thing to work. Much more involved than a jap bike.

Love the forks too

:)

Hopper link=topic=1928.msg17606#msg17606 date=1357146692 said:
Fair play to you bud. That's a lot of work. The BM's are a funny thing to work. Much more involved than a jap bike.

Love the forks too

:)

Cheers dude, it was a bit of a mission with the wiring, it's amazing how much they can cram in there! :eek: lol

Ducky, when do you expect to get the Bike finished and on Track (taking into account your health)?

Great thread/pictures ;)

Phil...the bike should be finished by summer, and I'm hoping to be riding again by then also *fingers crossed*. :)

Soo I had a little spare time this afternoon and figured I'd do a bit on the bike, fitted the Q/R throttle and alloy housing from Alpha Racing and the other part of the switchgear kit.

Then fitted the AR sump plug, I noticed that the magnet on this is a LOT stronger than the stock plug, so that can only help. :) Needed to drain the oil anyway to replace the oil cooler so gave it an oil change at the same time.

Then I fitted the new oil cooler and mounting bracket, as mine was as bent as a plate of spaghetti! :D lol

Then I decided to test fit the exhaust system on the bike just to check all is ok, one thing I like about the Akro's is they fit together so nice, and the separate mounting brackets in the head makes life so easy. :)

exhaust_fitted.jpg

Looking good :)

I'm just about to order the Alpha QA throttle. What one did you go for ? Also, was that switch gear supplied by alpha too ? Looks like an HRC one to me..

I got the 10 degree reduction throttle. The kill/start is standard part on a lot of bikes (Honda etc), but came as part of the switchgear kit with the STM unit on the other side, both sold by Alpha (plug and play then) :)

Back