Your Speed Downloaded.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Did you know your speed can be downloaded from a Garmin Sat Nav?
I was chatting to a Police Crash investigator this week, he confirmed that they have done this a few times.
They are unable to do this with Tom Tom sat navs (at present).

Probably wont be long before they can download the info at the side of the road and then hand out speeding tickets!

phil link=topic=1900.msg17311#msg17311 date=1356174240 said:
I was chatting to a Police Crash investigator this week, he confirmed that they have done this a few times.
They are unable to do this with Tom Tom sat navs (at present).

No they won't. The are not allowed anything of yours unless they have good reason to suspect it will have evidence of a crime that has been committed. This includes cameras mounted to the bike.
Also this function in your Garmin can be turned off. Alternatively switch on your sat nav in a plane. Gives a top speed reading of over 500mph then. :)

Probably wont be long before they can download the info at the side of the road and then hand out speeding tickets!

Godzilla link=topic=1900.msg17312#msg17312 date=1356177393 said:
phil link=topic=1900.msg17311#msg17311 date=1356174240 said:

No they won't. The are not allowed anything of yours unless they have good reason to suspect it will have evidence of a crime that has been committed. This includes cameras mounted to the bike.
They can and will download info from a Sat nav if they can use the evidence to apportion blame in the matter of a serious incident.

I thought that they 'might' in the future have the power to collect this evidence by the side of the road to Convict a speeding motorist. ;)

Not so many speed traps about this year in Essex.

fatbob link=topic=1900.msg17317#msg17317 date=1356192900 said:
Or your location servies turned on , on your smart phone ;)

Is that Garmin powered though? Or is this capability likely to spread to other systems?

Surely that's a pretty dangerous grey area of the law WRT personal information? I'd be surprised if plod ever get the power to interrogate your personal technology at the side of the road without some sort of warrant...

Back