Bike was supposed to have DTC!!!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

steven26784

I am new to this forum, and was hoping someone could help me. I recently bought a 2013 model S1000RR overseas in Qatar. I paid for and was assured that the bike was fully loaded, including DTC. However following a lowside on the local track it has been established that there is no DTC on my bike.

The dealer is a nightmare to deal with, and seem to have accepted that the bike doesn't have DTC but should have. At the moment I am waiting on them getting back to me regarding what they are going to do about it (i.e. compensation). They are waiting on a response form BMW I believe.

One avenue that they are investigating is the possibility of fitting DTC to the standard bike. I have read some posts on the US forums that say that this is a very difficult job and should really be done when the bike is being built in the factory. Unfortunately the standard of workmanship out here is very poor.

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any cases where DTC has been fitted to a standard bike, and if it is a relatively simple job (given the low skilled technicians), i.e. should I trust my dealer to fit this themselves?

The most annoying part is that they are telling me that all 2013 S1000RR's now come with DTC as standard. All of the other 2013 models shipped out to Qatar at the same time as mine have DTC but for some reason I ended up with the black-sheep.

Any advice/ similar situation details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Very odd, I can't imagine any 2013 bikes not having DTC fitted, does yours have ABS, as it uses the same sensors?

Yes, it has ABS, the relevant switch/ button and the ABS light flashes to indicate that it is active when starting-up. There were 4 bikes shipped from Germany recently, all other three have the DTC button and flashing light but mine does not.

My concern is having the DTC facility fitted by the dealer as their competence is little (putting it mildly). Im not sure how much of a job it is to fit DTC to a bike that didn't start off in life with it?

Cheers,
Steven

I'm not sure if the DTC unit is a separate module or built into the CPU, which ever it is though the wiring should be in place for it, you would just need the switchgear replaced (plus computer and/or module) also again I would guess is just a plug in job. I can't see BMW making a complete new loom just to remove those functions as it's not cost effective. :)

**edit** There is a speed sensor (black box) used for ABS/DTC which may also be missing on the bike, part no: 61 35 8 521 872

fatbob link=topic=1893.msg17268#msg17268 date=1355943992 said:
Hope you get it sorted
But I'm not sure the dtc would stop a low side ??

I'm worth you Bob DTC would not prevent a low side as this losing the front end DTC would only ever hello in a high side incident

Aren't all 2012 Sport Models onwards supposed to come standard with ABS and DTC? At least that's what I was told and have ready every in the magazines.

There were a number of 2012 bikes that came out of the factory without it as a mistake and then the parts were sent to the dealer to retrofit, mine was one. It was fitted in the 2 weeks from order to delivery.

chorsley link=topic=1893.msg17270#msg17270 date=1355947216 said:
fatbob link=topic=1893.msg17268#msg17268 date=1355943992 said:
Hope you get it sorted
But I'm not sure the dtc would stop a low side ??

I'm worth you Bob DTC would not prevent a low side as this losing the front end DTC would only ever hello in a high side incident

You can low side losing the rear (I have)...but yeah, it would be pretty unlikely.

Hi Steven! So sad to hear what happen to your bike, DTC is included in 2013. Dealer here in UAE also told even their technical team that are well experience (everyone here know it) is having difficulty of fitting DTC. If you are not confident on your dealer to do it, then IMHO try asking them to replace the whole bike :) :) :)

It was definitely a low side initiated at the rear.

Thanks for the information. Its good to know that it hasn't just been me that has faced this issue. I was beginning to think that I had paid for a 2013 bike an was given a standard 2012.

As for fitting of the DTC, I have no confidence in my local dealer changing a tyre never mind fitting traction control. It looks like Im going to have to wait at least 2 weeks no to hear anything because of Christmas. Apparently a BMW PUMA case has been raised in relation to this. I would of thought that it would of ben quite simple since this issue has alreadt been faced by others.....obviously not. I dont understand why my bike wasn't recalled as soon as BMW realised that a batch of bikes were delivered out-with the intended specifications. Very frustrating.

Some people are under the impression DTC will completely stop high sides/rear slides. It won't, and never will.

Hopper link=topic=1893.msg17326#msg17326 date=1356212650 said:
Some people are under the impression DTC will completely stop high sides/rear slides. It won't, and never will.

Ditto, I've had a few slides and DTC won't help in those situations. Tis not a miracle worker! lol :D

When riding in the wet in race mode sideways moments happen frequently and the dtc doesn't come on till you're well in trouble anyway & tbh causes more grief than it cures. You get the slide under control then the dtc say's no! cuts the power and twang it flicks you back in a straight line, nearly firing you off the side! :eek: :eek:

Back