Brake pads

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shft_Ctrl link=topic=1844.msg16647#msg16647 date=1354123437 said:
I'd recommend buying a Haynes manual. Failing that check Youtube for a How To - something similar to this http://youtu.be/aHtxBI8NEMg although I haven't checked how the pads on the S1K are retained so this may be different.
Haynes Manual? What is this thing you speak of? ;)

not to sound derogatory but if the sequence of events doesn't jump out at you , Id ask a garage , It's 15 minutes tops for a mechanic.

Brakes are really important ;)

Agree with Bob. Pads is easy if you are confident but if it goes wrong...... You would need a torque wrench for the caliper bolts as well.

unionjack link=topic=1844.msg16681#msg16681 date=1354136898 said:
Agree with Bob. Pads is easy if you are confident but if it goes wrong...... You would need a torque wrench for the caliper bolts as well.
you don't even have to take the callipers off to change the pads!
buy yourself a tin of brake cleaner and come copperslip (high temp) essential to stop squeaky stops. its a piece of piss but if you're not sure leave it to a professional .

I'm doing a daily commute on my S1K, 20 mile motorway (when it gets lighter and nicer will be country roads), 20 mile town - what make / type of pads would you recommend assuming people are not putting stock beemers back on?

There are pics on the US forum to show you how.

I followed their guide on my first brake pad replacement and it was straight forward for me. Done a couple more now.

Ordered some SBS pads to try out with new discs in next week or so.

In 7000 miles i've tried a few pads

Stock OEM
Brembo HH sintered
EBC HH sintered
Bendix HH sintered
Goldfren HH sintered

At moment i'm using these
$(KGrHqJHJBIFBJlYzu!4BRB+Ic20Bw~~60_12.JPG
£34 to do complete front. As you can tell the pads i've fitted have got cheaper each time, Not noticing any difference for Road/sporty use

yep. the OEM and Brems were completely worn. The EBCs and Bendix have about 1000 miles left on them but have took them off to keep for a track days. The Goldfren wore after 1300 miles and the Camot ones im using at moment i've just fitted this weekend.

The OEM and Brem's gave me 2000 miles each set. So after 1000 miles on EBC's I took them out leaving about 1000 likewise with the bendix. The Goldfren were cheap and after 1300 needed replacing and the new ones have just gone in this weekend. Bike is on 74XX miles

Wow ya must be a heavy breaker in comparison to me , on my 3rd set at 15000+ miles , I clearly must be fancying about :)
Having said that how anyone gets a 1000 miles out of k3 rear is also quite a feat ;)

My K3 that was on bike when I bought it lasted me 2000 miles, I've gone through Pirelli Rosso 2 in 900 miles, front and back both worn. Front actually bolder than rear

Jesus Christ I'm only on my 2nd set of pads & I've done 27000 miles now! Including mountain/glacier trips & the IOM TT don't you use the engine braking??

5 sets of pads in 7000 miles ?
That is really hard wear Ross, do you wear em out proper like or replace em when they are half worn?

Im still on my 1st set with 12k on the bike. I also read that your heavy on tyre wear also, do you ride hard on the throttle then hard on the brakes all the time? Just interested mate.

Back