Going touring next year

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUZZ

Im welsh get over it.!!!!
Reaction score
Well me and a few mates are going touring some time next year so i just bought a tail pack from a forum member so this is some info for the owners who have used the sw motech blaze panniers,what sizes do they come in and do you think the bmw tail pack will fit once the blaze panniers are fitted.?? Also might be buying the bmw tank bag aswell but are they big enough to do the job of holding odds and sods and my tom tom car sat nav.???

Only know about the the tank bag which you can stuff a decent amount in so I think its well worth it

How big is the tank bad compared to a house hold object like a xbox 360 or box of cornflakes ???,you got a pic fitted on the bike.?

Ping Dartanion(?) - a member on here. I bought his Blaze bags (love 'em) and he's also got the BMW tail bag and a tank bag so can comment on comparitive sizes

I Would say half an x box
To be honest though it was very handy for phone , money bits and bobs
The plastic steams up though I found when it rained , I would say it was worth ii have been with and without it and was glad I got it

Cheers but bit disappointed about it steaming up :( as it be hard to see my tom tom

Hi Buzz, i also have the tank bag - kind of impressed and not impressed in equal measures though.
I took it to Italy this year and also found it let in water - not to the bag part but to the clear 'phone part at the top. I had a written list of way points - which I eventually stuck in a clear zip bag inside and that worked.
I bought a rubber stem mount and zip bag off of Amazon for the (garmin) Satnav - worked a treat! Both cost about maybe £50.00 total?

The actual bag compartment stayed totally dry though.

What you do need to watch out for though is that the bracket has little soft rubber? / fabric? pads that fit between the mount and the tank fixing points - I was away for three weeks - when I got home and took the assembly off - some of the paint came off with it - stuck to the rubber. Bummer!

Also the bracket and underside of the bag move againsst each other and can wear - I glued some fabric to the underside of the bag to stop it wearing through.

Ok thanks might look at a ventura tank bag then or a bagster tank cover and something else

Just a quick response to the blaze panniers and the BMW tail bag - I found that they worked very well together, the panniers join together with Velcro so you just need to make sure that you follow the contour of the rear seat and the tail bag fits snugly over the top.

Also the tail bag comes with a rain cover which then makes it fine to use when it's wet.

I found that the BMW tank bag was way to small to be really useful and have ended up with the bags connection "quick lock" system which has a tank ring that connects to the tank filler cap and the bag is then clipped on and off as needed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

The inner water cover leaks.???? Will have to get some tent waterproof spray then.?

These are good..made by the bag company I think. they have a waterproof inner to keep things bone dry but you need a ventura rack for your tent, bed roll and flipflops ;D
048.jpg

fatbob link=topic=1826.msg16994#msg16994 date=1355003517 said:
That looks ridiculous
Its not so bad when you are sat on the bike

264220_260114117339194_100000218237170_1189647_6824280_n.jpg

the oxford soft luggage is good but it drops down and rubs your paint off. I came up with this
r1andsoftluggage.jpg

not good for filtering but I tested that to 165mph..I was late for the ferry ;D

7129_100975019919772_100000218237170_25595_386133_n.jpg

Guys,

Just my tuppence worth here.
I have toured Europe almost every year for the last 25 on sports bikes (Blades, Milles, R1's, GSXr's etc) and on touring bikes (Pan, FJR, BMW RT, BMW Adventure) so I have a little experience.

1st the obvious one Touring Bikes are designed for it so are better at it....doh...and not much help.

2nd People always take way far to much stuff......fact...look at the pictures above.

3rd On sports bike if Touring with 2 people the best luggage system I found was the Ventura system. Simple waterproof and expandable and trust me 1 bag can hold enough for 2 people for 2 weeks. (Not camping ofc)
Trust me I tried panniers and different bag systems but found that the Ventura was best and didn't look to bad.

4th On sports bike if Touring alone the Ventura system is also fantastic and can use a 2nd bag sitting on the rear seat (kinda goes against the taking to much stuff statement tho but some guys will need their hair dryers i suppose) however a waterproof holdall / bag bungied to the rear seat is every bit as effective.

It's also handy to have some storage up front for items you will need to reach....passport, toll cash, toll tickets, camera etc.

Hope this helps someone

Regards
D

I always camp hence the large amount of luggage..you can get waterproof bags so you don't have to store your sleeping bag and bed roll inside.

Well this is a 10 day trip , camping with 5 days food , and lots of waterproofs ( Monza WSB this year)
I would imagine those panniers hitting the deck !!! If it works it works i suppose.
I tested mine to 180+ ( germany obviously) and had plenty of fun in the twisties , I would only use Ventura on any sportsbike....Its expensive cos its good IMHO

e0b7d6f4.jpg

by the way the airhawk seatpad......priceless !!

+1 with the people take too much crap! Just the essentials & a card for the rest. This is all I took for a 10. Day tour to Austria !
77A4BA76-4E1A-4EFF-8672-427AD188FDA1-2779-0000035468937F83.jpg

Back