Winter storage

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRS463

Reaction score
Quick question, I don't have garage down here so bike will be outside all winter under a Oxford stormex cover.

Not got it on a paddock stand yet, would that be a good idea?

Should I cover it in ac 50? And I have washed an waxed it before covering it.

Looked at bike barn but not sure it's any better than what is on it and possibly thinking of a proper shed next year.

Cheers

Charlie

Wouldn't bother with the paddock stand, it'll will be more stable on its side stand if it gets windy.
Yes cover the bike in ACF50 and do ALL of the lube points with the correct type of grease. Remember the chain.

Is the bike going to be used at all? over the next 4-5months?

Won't be using it but will start it occasionally to keep the battery going.

I'm not following what is this "winter storage" that you're all banging on about?
If i can't get at least 100 miles a week on it i start to climb the walls!
Get some heated gear some tyres that work when the temp is below 20degs and get out there you'll be bloody amazed how much extra power the bike has on a cold sunday morning :D
Just protect the bike with acf50 & gt85 and wash it after each ride simples.
You can learn so much more about how your bike handles in the winter months and as a bonus you're not rusty come next spring!
Get on and enjoy :) :)

babarr46 link=topic=1816.msg16327#msg16327 date=1353536330 said:
I'm not following what is this "winter storage" that you're all banging on about?

Get some heated gear some tyres that work when the temp is below 20degs and get out there you'll be bloody amazed how much extra power the bike has on a cold sunday morning :D
You can learn so much more about how your bike handles in the winter months and as a bonus you're not rusty come next spring!
My thoughts exactly ;) suppose were all different mate, my mileage has changed over the last couple of years but still love riding during the winter..... it makes the summer more enjoyable ;D

As i said in another thread, i've rode through many winters commuting to and from work on previous bikes and i do agree it keeps the skills sharp. However the downsides put me off now.

Washing the bike when you get home everyday is a chore, you'll do that a few times and then "fuck it, i'm too tired". The bike starts to corrode and looks like very worn by the time spring comes round, then you spend £200-£300 putting it right.
Freezing cold, icy roads, retards cutting you up using your braking distance as a spot to change lanes. Hands so cold you can't feel the controls, the fluid in your knees turning to toffee with the cold and takes an hour to thaw.

I'll just take the car thanks lol

Won't be using it but will start it occasionally to keep the battery going.
Don't do that!
All that does is increase engine wear and cause condensation to form inside the engine block and in the oil.
Don't start the bike unless you intend to use it.

Buy a battery optimiser instead.

UrbanRacer link=topic=1816.msg16332#msg16332 date=1353575054 said:
As i said in another thread, i've rode through many winters commuting to and from work on previous bikes and i do agree it keeps the skills sharp. However the downsides put me off now.

Freezing cold, icy roads, retards cutting you up using your braking distance as a spot to change lanes. Hands so cold you can't feel the controls, the fluid in your knees turning to toffee with the cold and takes an hour to thaw.

I'll just take the car thanks lol
If I lived 450 miles North of Essex I would also take the car lol but our winters down south are sometimes very reasonable and it would be rude not to take the bike out for a few hours every now and then ;D

Use acf50 get it up on paddock stands as tyres dont like being sat in same place over long periods,and if its outside use plenty of security and if alarm fitted get bike hooked up to good quality trickle charger and get some think blankets under the bike cover

BUZZ link=topic=1816.msg16344#msg16344 date=1353588460 said:
get it up on paddock stands as tyres dont like being sat in same place over long periods

Only really a problem if its on concrete and its going to be cracking on a year of storage.

Couple of months can affect tyres in same spot if they aint rotated regular ;)

BUZZ link=topic=1816.msg16354#msg16354 date=1353606406 said:
Couple of months can affect tyres in same spot if they aint rotated regular ;)
Depends,I've never had a problem,with bike indoors. And even with old bikes stored in garage. Unless you've got it sitting there for months and months it won't matter.

babarr46 link=topic=1816.msg16327#msg16327 date=1353536330 said:
If i can't get at least 100 miles a week on it i start to climb the walls!

The bike I sold to buy this was ridden every day in 2011 apart from the Saturday before Xmas when snow fell and I woke up to 6in of snow. I was out the next day in the car ruts.

Starter switch froze due to cold weather that year on numerous occasions, didn't need heated grips, good gloves sorted it and put up with the pain. Colleagues in cars called in snowed in but I got there on my bike and it improved my skills and they turned up late in their cages.

Trouble is the salt ate the bike to bits and it was ruined. My s1 is being stored to stop salt and grit eating the sh1t out of it but I still get to ride 250 miles a week on my other winter bike.

I was after advice on storage as riding in London in the winter is easy as all the main roads are well gritted.

I have great winter cycling gear as I fly home every week and park my bike at stansted airport, hg master v suit that has never leaked shoei x spirit 2 leaks through vents at front.

Charlie

Back