New Member and New S1000rr

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuey

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a new member and just placed an order on a new S1000rr in Red/White. Will get it in a couple of weeks.

Had a CBR1000rr Fireblade for 6 years and was time for an upgrade. Given the new Fireblade was not a lot quicker than mine I needed to try the new king of Superbikes the S1000rr.

However, searching this site today I've seen a lot of unhappy owners with various issues on thier bikes. Smoking, Gearbox issues, bad recall work, engine replacements in less than 4000 miles etc....

I hope I have not made mistake getting the BMW. In the 6 years of Honda Fireblade ownership I can honestly say I've never had a single issue with it and I've ridden it very hard. I'm happy that I've made the purshase of the S1000rr but reading some of the comments here has scared me a little if I'm honest!!

Can you guys put me at ease or is the S1000rr unreliable?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I bought a 10 month old 2012 three weeks ago and gearbox shaft seal had blown, BMW repaired it under warranty and the workshop manager said that was the first one that he know of that went. I hope so!!!

Anyhow I had a 2001 929 for 4 years and went for a S1K instead of a Blade, I too hope I made the right choice.
Still commuting on it every day is a blast though.

Hello & welcome to warp speed ;)
Yes there are a few teething problems as with all bikes, yamahas with their dodgy x-up valves, hondas with their crappy cam chain tensioners, ducatis & electrics, suzukis and frames cracking etc..
The good thing is bmw just fix them and quickly in my experience , just remember not to go effing and jeffing at the dealers and you can usually get a free bike as well while they fix the issues. :)
Ive used mine regularly in all weathers year round for nearly 2 years for touring and scratching, done nearly 22k now and still love it... you will to.

I smash the granny outta mine, lol remember though it's only ever the bad ones u hear about!

Hello and welcome,
If you've bought a 2012 bike then you can be safe in the knowledge that all those problems you've listed have been ironed out in previous models.
The quickshifter is the only weak component of the bike these days.

Hi, good choice...........came from 06 blade 08 gix thou. Had 1 of the 1st S1K, 12000mls now, only thing ive had replaced is switch gear. Gearbox not as slick as japs but holy f**k its quick :eek: Spend some money getting suspension set up for you and just keep filling the tank up, its addictive ;D ;D ;D

Late 2011 model with mods 5 track days 6000 miles reved/wheelied to within an inch of its life and no problems :)

Schuey link=topic=1814.msg16258#msg16258 date=1353359138 said:
Can you guys put me at ease or is the S1000rr unreliable?
Hello and welcome

You can rest at ease mate, the majority (99%) of S1000 owners keep schtum about how reliable these bikes are. Had mine mine for over 2 and half years and its never let me down (just like my 3 Fireblades before it).

Thanks for the welcome and replies all.

Appreciate your feedback, I feel much better now and am really looking forward to receiving my bike. It is a 2012 model and having read all the reviews and Youtube vids nothing touches the S1000RR. Can't wait 8)

Hopefully can meet some of you guys on a rideout in the near future.

Seems like a great forum and so will be viewing regularly.

Thanks again :)

Welcome to the forum buddy, as others have said, there have been odd issues with the S1k but overall it is an awesome bike, enjoy your new ride.

How's many people have ever bought the same bike out of interest
Personally I would , and I do a lot of miles

fatbob link=topic=1814.msg16296#msg16296 date=1353446651 said:
I have and I would again ;D

phil link=topic=1814.msg16304#msg16304 date=1353486800 said:
fatbob link=topic=1814.msg16296#msg16296 date=1353446651 said:
I have and I would again ;D

Yep, i would/have, depends whats out/coming out and what takes yr fancy, change of riding styles etc. I dont' think sports bike riders are brand loyal

I thought I was a die hard Blade man, until the 2012 Blade came out and I was not so impressed. Hence the move to the S1K.

rusty link=topic=1814.msg16328#msg16328 date=1353539420 said:
I thought I was a die hard Blade man, until the 2012 Blade came out and I was not so impressed. Hence the move to the S1K.

Same here!

My new bike arrives on Wednesday, I can't wait 8)

Back