Rear suspension linkage bearings and inserts - WARNING

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcus81

Reaction score
Word of warning on the rear suspension pivots and linkage

Noticed the other day when changing the rear spring that the rear swingarm linkage was very notchy when moving it, decided to take it off and remove the inserts to have a look and found the bearings had started to cut into the inserts causing some serious premature wear, we decided to remove the swing arm and all strip the linkage and found most of the inserts showing some degree of wear, the bike is a 2011 with 4k on the clock. Although there was grease on the bearings there wasn't a lot of it which is most likely to be the cause. We greased everything up which made it better but on some the damage was already done. Should have taken a photo but was running short of time as wasnt expecting to have to strip everything out.

I'm going to raise the issue with the dealer when it goes in for its next service and see if they'll warrant it as i have done a few mods, if not i'll buy the inserts and change them myself.

Re: Rear suspension linkage bearings and inserts

Strange you should say that, when i jump on mine after it being sat in the garage for a few days i get a distinct 'crack' which now i presume is from the dry swingarm bearings. I best have a look. I do pretty much all myself but anything to look out for? Is it worth buying whatever's needed to change while its stripped out? Idea of costs?

No idea of cost but there is bushes in the following locations

2 x Swingarm
2 x Linkage where it bolts to frame
4 x on the linkage pivot

They dont look expensive but you never know, i couldnt replace mine due to being on somebody elses bike ramp and needing to go back to work but will do in the spring

bananaman link=topic=1674.msg15811#msg15811 date=1352566308 said:
Strange you should say that, when i jump on mine after it being sat in the garage for a few days i get a distinct 'crack' which now i presume is from the dry swingarm bearings. I best have a look. I do pretty much all myself but anything to look out for? Is it worth buying whatever's needed to change while its stripped out? Idea of costs?

That crack is more likely where the back brake pads stick to the disks through slight corrosion.

bananaman link=topic=1674.msg15832#msg15832 date=1352632423 said:
Hear what yr saying but its more metallic.............

I went for a short ride this afternoon to a friends and blow me when I came back out two hours later it made the loud crack like when a stubborn nut is suddenly loosened when I sat on it. I'm going to have to have a look at the linkage now although MCT didn't mention there was any problems when they had the shock out last month.

Mine wasn't noisy but neither did i notice it last time i had the shock out, it was when i lifted the detached linkage to reconnect it i noticed the notchyness of it all so stripped it out. Not impressed with the quality of the inserts.

Back