Fitted my symmetrical headlight covers in black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUZZ

Im welsh get over it.!!!!
Reaction score
Fitted my symmetrical headlight covers in black,i like the odd head light's but just fancied a change from the norm lol ;)

BUZZ link=topic=1602.msg15679#msg15679 date=1352311124 said:
Fitted my symmetrical headlight covers in black,i like the odd head light's but just fancied a change from the norm lol ;)
noooooooooooooooooooo lol just kidding mate,but you know you can get pulled with those on?

Re: Re: What have you done to your bike today

Why.??? They are illegal at night but not in daylight hours ???

untitled6778899.png

BUZZ link=topic=1602.msg15691#msg15691 date=1352321325 said:
Why.??? They are illegal at night but not in daylight hours ???

untitled6778899.png
sorry mate but they are illegal even during the day,simple reason is your reducing light. You'll get nicked trust me. And if you read the listing on EBay it says clear are the only legal ones you can use.

You dont need any headlights in the day so how can reduced light be illegal?

andybarsblade link=topic=1602.msg15720#msg15720 date=1352395200 said:
You dont need any headlights in the day so how can reduced light be illegal?
hes got headlights on,so it's illegal,I know guys who have been nicked,not going to argue about it lol but see how long he lasts,and do you think it's safe? It's bad enough people can't see you with lights on! Lol

Ahhh i see so he could disconnect the headlights i guess?

andybarsblade link=topic=1602.msg15725#msg15725 date=1352396598 said:
Ahhh i see so he could disconnect the headlights i guess?
running a daytime MOT would be the only way,but removing headlights what warrant a mod,and could push insurance up,and he would only be able to ride in very good light,ie sunny,not this crap dull winter weather lol

So If I ride around in the daytime with just sidelights on then I'm going to get pulled?

What if my MOT is done with no running lights. IE. if headlights are disconnected/masked. Then they can't be tested (Yet it will still pass the MOT)

It's not illegal to have those covers fitted, Can you show me the written proof.

and IF, and it's a big IF, you do find something. Then BUZZ can simply spray the interior of the covers with black paint.

lllN30lll link=topic=1602.msg15728#msg15728 date=1352398167 said:
So If I ride around in the daytime with just sidelights on then I'm going to get pulled?

It's not illegal to have those covers fitted, find me the written proof.

and IF, and it's a big IF, you do find something. Then BUZZ can simply spray the interior of the covers with black paint.
Youre missing the point,he's covering the lights up. And you want written proof? Jesus lol go find that yourself,I couldn't care less,I was just informing the guy,so don't bust my balls over it,and spray them as well,treat yourself.

Covering the lights up is the same as disconnecting them, it's still legal for daytime use. I've never seen anything written saying that you HAVE to have lights.

Just spray the inside of the covers if you're worried BUZZ, problem solved.

lllN30lll link=topic=1602.msg15730#msg15730 date=1352398757 said:
Covering the lights up is the same as disconnecting them, it's still legal for daytime use. I've never seen anything written saying that you HAVE to have lights.

Just spray the inside of the covers if you're worried BUZZ, problem solved.
you can't just disconnect lights and then ride bike you know? So no it's not the same. He's got lights on the bike and he's blacking them out.

I'm thinking if its fitted as standard it has to work and be shown to work. Otherwise have it tested for daylight mot?
Having been taken out once with " sorry i didnt see you" and that was with full beam on i wouldnt travel without adequate lighting.......... looks cool but not practical.

OK so here's my 2p's worth. I've built a few fighters in my time which means that I've become quite friendly with Mr MOT when trying to get them through the test.

The rule of thumb is, if it's fitted it has to work as was intended. If the bike has no lights that's cool with Mr MOT but if lights are fitted they have to be tested. If they they are not visible in line with their test criteria it's not a road worth bike.

Much like, there is no law saying you have to have windows in your car, but if you do have this nice 'optional extra' they can't be more than what ever % tinted other wise they are illegal

Pain in the ball sack I know.

I ask my mate who runs a bike mot station.? But ive had dark smoked light covers on all my bikes and plod has never said anything about them and they are just covers and can be removed,as ill only ride in daylight hours i personally cant see them being illegal,just like tinted visors in day time otherwise is it illegal to ride/drive with sun glasses on.???

They are only for looks and to protect the headlights againt stone chips etc etc

Cool ;) At least you know. Happy riding.

(FYI dark visors are illegal for the road but plod turns a blind eye)

Head light covers will only be illegal if they make the bike display a rad light to the front(red cover). the dark covers may not allow enough light through at night so then illegal.

black visors are illegal but as stated above most plod turn a blind eye.

dark smoke visors are not illegal if they a kite marked on them,but are at night time ;)

Do you have one with the relevant markings on it ?

I know you can buy a tinted visor that meets legal requirements

Legally

1) It must be an approved visor / goggle It'll either have a BS4110 mark or the new EC Regulation 22 type 05 mark.

2) A 50% tint is the darkest you're allowed by law and even then it will be marked "for daylight use only". Dark, mirrored etc. visors are illegal, wear sunglasses instead.

Back