Any winter corrosion issues to look out for?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammyhl

Reaction score
My bike has to be a workhorse and will be on the road in everything but snow and ice. Whats peoples experience of the S1000RR resistance to corrosion? Any particular areas that need special attention? Any preventative measures you can recommend?

Thanks!

As I recall the sumps were a weak point and prone to corrosion, so be worth keeping an eye on it. :)

After riding through 5 winters on previous bikes (GSXR's) and seeing how they look when the good weather comes back I refuse to do it to the S1K. I've tried using FS365 but you never get everything and you'll still end up having to replace bits when the good weather is back.
I'd say riding through one winter is the equivalent of adding 2 years worth of wear on it.

I'll just keep the bike off the road.

Ducky link=topic=1659.msg15704#msg15704 date=1352366069 said:
As I recall the sumps were a weak point and prone to corrosion, so be worth keeping an eye on it. :)
yep my 1 year old 6000 mile sump replaced due to corrosion, ridden in the wet but kept in an integral garage every day.

Only today I was in my garage rubbing my sump down and polishing it (I was bored, bike is getting a breakdown and rebuild over winter)

Didn't think BMW would fit a new due to corrosion. Could of saved myself some arm ache;-)

I got a new fuel cap out of them due to all the bolts under becoming badly corroded. I'm due a new fuel tank also

Not had any probs, i ride mine year round i just spray the everything but the brake disks in gt85 or acf50 etc.. and wash it more done over 21k still looks like new after a bucket of soapy water is thrown at it. the only signs of corrosion is on the header bolts but thats to be expected. :D

A can of ACF50 is £15 but my local dealer is doing a winter check and complete ACF treatment for £40 so I'm going to take them up on the offer!

I hope your using chandlers portslade, cos the other 2 local ones charge a fortune hourly rate & I found them to give a much better service :)

Sump corrosion appears to be an issue on the BM. Any member had this problem on any bikes other than BM's that they have owned? I've never come across this on any of my previous bikes! I am NOT over impressed with the build quality of the S1000RR and from all ther posts on the forum I get the impression that the electrics are about as reliable as that on Ducati's !

Parley Waller link=topic=1659.msg16627#msg16627 date=1354048872 said:
Sump corrosion appears to be an issue on the BM. Any member had this problem on any bikes other than BM's that they have owned? I've never come across this on any of my previous bikes! I am NOT over impressed with the build quality of the S1000RR and from all ther posts on the forum I get the impression that the electrics are about as reliable as that on Ducati's !
when i had mine replaced the service manager seemed to think i should be greatfull they had done so when i said a similar thing to him, i also have had switch gear failure and gearbox issues.

Back