Crash Protection

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickyC

Reaction score
Looking at getting some crash protection for my first track day in February / March, anyone got any recommendations (apart from waiting til its warmer)? I like the style of the R&G Aero frame bobbins, also Evotech but there's a lot to choose from :-\

http://www.s1000rrforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1640.0

Have a look at that, Those are the crash protectors that BMW sell. they saved all the expensive bits like engine covers, main fairing, frame etc etc. repairing the damage (except the exhaust) cost me around £200.
The only thing I don't like about them is the axle crash bobbins, they look a bit naff.

Gb racing engine covers are a must have,also good quality crash bungs like r&g or gb racing ones or woodcraft,but most crash bungs will bend in a hard drop/crash and mark the frame,ive seen it first hand myself and seen enough bikes come through my mates bike breakers shop ;)

As said, crash bungs are really only good in a slow(ish) crash or lowside or car park drop. Opinion seems to be leave em off if yr good/fast so it slides instead of digging in and flipping..(mine stay on ;))

Having seen first hand the damage on an unprotected S1000 (not mine but very sobering just before your track session) I would say engine covers should be first on your shopping list especially the pulse cover (r/h side) which sticks out and receives a right smacking. The rest of the bike faired pretty well in the moderate drop. After this I went straight out and bought some GB Racing covers which are quality kit. As to bungs the jury's still out for me.

If I didn't have the R&G aero frame sliders I'd go for the GB covers,but I've got the Rizoma casings on mine and I'd doubt they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the GB covers but im a tart and liked the look of the Rizoma ;,) also just fitted the R&G front fork bobbins.

Boardsofnorfolk link=topic=1651.msg15687#msg15687 date=1352317717 said:
If I didn't have the R&G aero frame sliders I'd go for the GB covers,but I've got the Rizoma casings on mine and I'd doubt they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the GB covers but im a tart and liked the look of the Rizoma ;,) also just fitted the R&G front fork bobbins.

Nowt wrong with being a tart, isn't that one of the reasons we've got the s1k in the first place! ;D

Looks like it's the GB Racing covers for me but can't make my mind up on the bungs. The R&G Aero frame sliders look pretty cool but the Gilles also look tempting (anyone have any experience with these?). Prob finish it off with R&G fork and paddock stand bobbins.

MickyC link=topic=1651.msg15690#msg15690 date=1352320809 said:

Nowt wrong with being a tart, isn't that one of the reasons we've got the s1k in the first place! ;D

Looks like it's the GB Racing covers for me but can't make my mind up on the bungs. The R&G Aero frame sliders look pretty cool but the Gilles also look tempting (anyone have any experience with these?). Prob finish it off with R&G fork and paddock stand bobbins.

R&G frame sliders have done me proud on last 3 bikes, blade went over on the chunnel (2wks old), gixxa thou went over in car park 3wks old, s1k went down at brands, druids (5mths old), front and rear axle sliders seem to take the least hit so doesnt have to be designer gear, GB covers are used in bsb..........

What you need are covers for the Rizomas.

Just read they don't make the Gilles frame sliders for the 2012 s1k, shame as they are smaller than the R&G ones but at least it makes my decision a lot easier :)

So, my final decision is.... R&G non-cut frame sliders, R&G fork protectors & rear cotton reels, GB Racing pulse cover & alternator cover. Unless I can be persuaded otherwise...

Maybe a bit OTT but I'm thinking better to have too much than not enough.

Gb racing do nice looking crash bungs,i might invest in some of them as the white r&g aero bungs are abit girly but trick looking lol

Iv got GB engine covers, R&G fork sliders and Evo Tech swing arm protectors. I did have R&G frame sliders. I removed them due to seeing too many bikes having frames damaged in a crash. they are perfect for a slow speed spill, not the best in a reasonable speed crash on a TD. The frame sliders tend to dig in and flip the bike over. Sometimes they can cause more damage...

Iv seen these on ebay 320965436001. They are the lower frame bungs that are fixed via a spindal going through the swing arm pivot point. They look good, just like the Harris ones. Iv used a similar type on my old R1 Track bike. I think if you have the GB covers, fork and swing arm sliders, these bungs would be a great purchase.

I'm looking at crash protection, and I do have an R&G question that somebody may be able to shed some light on. R&G aero crash protection you can buy in drill and non-drill form. Granted, the non-drill are twice the price, and the bracket is not going to be as rigid as the direct bolting to the frame, but the idea of drilling a hole in my shiny new fairings does not compute. :eek:

Is there a performance difference in a crash between the two flavours?

Hopper link=topic=1651.msg16190#msg16190 date=1353191516 said:
Iv seen these on ebay 320965436001.

They look like a good option, but would prevent those with a 'spider-stand' from using it - I was planning to use my SS for trackdays rather than faff with separate paddock stands. :)

Just read they don't make the Gilles frame sliders for the 2012 s1k, shame as they are smaller than the R&G ones but at least it makes my decision a lot easier :)

So, my final decision is.... R&G non-cut frame sliders, R&G fork protectors & rear cotton reels, GB Racing pulse cover & alternator cover. Unless I can be persuaded otherwise...

Maybe a bit OTT but I'm thinking better to have too much than not enough.

Any new thoughts on crash protection since last year? Which ones don't involve me drilling the fairing...I want them on for the road and have heard they cause more damage on the track...is this true? Any help appreciated, thank you!

GB racing covers are a must, best money spent. Crash bungs are a hit and miss. Depends on how your bike goes down.
Hopefully not at all! Thank you...have put kevlar on the engine casings both sides, didn't know the chain guard existed and so the jury's still out on crash bungs!

Recently had an off , left side slide down road , R&G crash bungs and GB racing covers did their job, have rearsets so peg broke and number plate vanished! Mirror glass broke . No damage to rest of bike, replaced crash bung, footpeg etc total cost less than £150 which includes new Mirror at £52 ! In fact my leathers suffered more than the bike!!

Back