Track Tyres

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianbullsey

Reaction score
Hi everyone I hope you are all well and staying safe.
Recommendations please for track day tyres?
I usually balance cost against performance.
Ian
I'm doing my first 2020 day at Caldwell Park this Monday evening.

Hi everyone I hope you are all well and staying safe.
Recommendations please for track day tyres?
I usually balance cost against performance.
Ian
I'm doing my first 2020 day at Caldwell Park this Monday evening.

what do you normally use threaded or slicks?

Threaded. Not good enough for slicks [emoji848]

Bridgestone S22
Dunlop D213 GP pro or D212 Racer
Supercorsas SP

All good tires. Bridgestone is less expensive and V02 slicks and in my opinion give same performance as others.

D212 Racer Medium front Endurance Rear is a happy combo for track days. You can have either TReaded or Slick. But I'd want them on warmers to save time building heat.
or
Bridgestone R11 (again I'd prefer warmers but technically they are road legal). Soft for cooler (UK), Medium for Hot (Spain).

The Dunlop TT, Pirelli SC SP and Metzeler K3RR's would be the best of the hypersports to use (1 notch down from the above, slightly safer when cold)

Threaded. Not good enough for slicks [emoji848]

This is usually an incorrect assumption. If you have the right type and compound, and a set of warmers then with a litre bike you can usually put the energy into them to keep them operating well.

Bridgestone S22
Dunlop D213 GP pro or D212 Racer
Supercorsas SP

All good tires. Bridgestone is less expensive and V02 slicks and in my opinion give same performance as others.

Considering the S22 isn't even Bridgestone's sportiest road tyre, I was quite surprised how well they performed when I used a set last year on a "road bike only" day at Oulton. I was managing to do times which would have been ok in a "normal" fast group. Ok the front didn't feel as solid as with the slick I normally use but really good for what is a genuine road tyre.

I?m off to Oulton next month and just had the same headache but after a shit load of research, opted for the Dunlop TT?s.

My reasoning was a balancing act.
Quick warm up both on track and on road. Great road (don?t ride in the rain) and capable track tyre.
Life expectancy
They say they give great feed back, which will hopefully keep my beautiful road bike shiny side up and stop me getting carried away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do the standard Metzeler Racetec RR K3?s fair? I?m at Donny in a few weeks time so interested in views. I?m nothing special though and would consider myself a somewhere between intermediate and fast rider group rider who?s getting faster every time.

How do the standard Metzeler Racetec RR K3?s fair? I?m at Donny in a few weeks time so interested in views. I?m nothing special though and would consider myself a somewhere between intermediate and fast rider group rider who?s getting faster every time.

I did a day on them at Alcarr?s last year on the gen 4 and was very impressed. I only managed to go 2 seconds quicker on V02 slicks.

I?ve never run Metzelers on road and was that impressed with them that I?ve just fitted another set of K3s and will use them at Oulton tomorrow.

I did a day on them at Alcarr?s last year on the gen 4 and was very impressed. I only managed to go 2 seconds quicker on V02 slicks.

I?ve never run Metzelers on road and was that impressed with them that I?ve just fitted another set of K3s and will use them at Oulton tomorrow.

Thanks Carson, nice to hear this feedback of them.

The Standard Race tec tyres that it comes with are pretty good. Ive done 3 track days in the fast group no problem. I understand they are made by Pirelli but might be wrong. Great tyres os the Supercorsa BSB its cheaper than the other supercorsas and fantastic longevity and grip

This is usually an incorrect assumption. If you have the right type and compound, and a set of warmers then with a litre bike you can usually put the energy into them to keep them operating well.

I'd agree. Knowing you have that extra grip means you can push harder with confidence. Or alter psi to increase heat

Just done the day at Oulton yesterday and had no issues with the Metzeler K3s. If the bike is going to be used as a road bike and track then I highly recommend the K3s.
Be interesting to see how the Bridgestone S22 compare next tyre change

Just done the day at Oulton yesterday and had no issues with the Metzeler K3s. If the bike is going to be used as a road bike and track then I highly recommend the K3s.

did you do it on Gen4 ? how was it ?

Compared to the normal slicks I run, I found the front S22 a bit vague but I still managed sub 1m 55s last time I did a "road bike only" day at Oulton. I've not ridden on K3's but have ridden on a set of Supercorsa SP's which are meant to be similar and I'd say the S22's are a level down for track work.

Compared to the normal slicks I run, I found the front S22 a bit vague but I still managed sub 1m 55s last time I did a "road bike only" day at Oulton. I've not ridden on K3's but have ridden on a set of Supercorsa SP's which are meant to be similar and I'd say the S22's are a level down for track work.

That?s good to know Gobert, might give the S22 a miss in that case.

That?s a decent time at Oulton on a road bike mate.
I managed 1:56 yesterday on my first time there in inters.
Hopefully next time I?ll get in fast group with a bit less traffic.

That?s good to know Gobert, might give the S22 a miss in that case.

That?s a decent time at Oulton on a road bike mate.
I managed 1:56 yesterday on my first time there in inters.
Hopefully next time I?ll get in fast group with a bit less traffic.

That's decent for your first time - it's not an easy track to learn and I found it's a place that takes more time to get to grips with than others. After years of running a track only bike, I just remove the mirrors and fit slicks to my Gen 3 now - managed a 1m 49s on my last day last year but my "usual" pace is 50/51's. Was hoping to move forward with that this year......................

Back