Hibernation Advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
Well, despite continual praying for dry days I feel it time to put my 2011 SK1 in the garage for the winter.

What should I do? I've heard that I should stand the bike tyres on bit's of carpet..... both that I need and don't need a 'battery optimiser' to trickle charge......

If you garage your SK1 for the winter, what does everybody else do? What bits do I need if any and where to I get them from?

All tips appreciated,

N.

Depending how long it will be left, I would just brim the tank with fuel, over inflate the tyres slightly and leave it on a trickle charger. I've left bikes for years like that. :lol:

When buying a trickle charger what connections fit the S1K battery the best - can I leave everything hooked up and not remove the battery? I don't suppose there is a really easy way of doing this like in car 12v cigarette lighter type attachment?

Thinking about it, where is the battery lol?

Yes. I know nothing. But I do know that I know nothing, so that's a start.

Get an optimate , used them for years
Having said that I also ride it all year round :) ( cept the snow)

I would not advise leaving the charger on all the time this damages the battery as much as not charging it.

You are far better to connect the charger up once a month let it charge then disconnect.

;)

Fresh fuel,bike up on paddock stands,spray everything in gt 85 oil spay and stick a good think blanket over the bike and good quality breathable bike cover...... ;)

BUZZ link=topic=1624.msg15462#msg15462 date=1351771439 said:
Fresh fuel,bike up on paddock stands,spray everything in gt 85 oil spay and stick a good think blanket over the bike and good quality breathable bike cover...... ;)
X2....and it doesnt matter about the connection on an optimate. you can use the crocodile clips or attach the eyes under the battery bolts and leave the wire dangling so you can connect without digging for the battery each time. both types come with the optimate. option 2 is the easiest long term.

Just leave the keys with me & fatbob we'll make sure the battery stays charged ;) ;)
Winters no excuse for stopping riding get out there improve your riding in wet weather, remember there's not wrong weather just wrong clothes :D :)

Winter riding is no fun at all,I done it for many years.. Yes it may improved some skills but its not the safest time at all. Mine is indoors and I just trickle charge once or twice a month,inflate tyres Abit and polish it lol

I have a Bandit for Winter, no need to get the BMW messy! Lol

All the above advice is spot on.

Personally, I :

Fill the tank to stop condensation
Put it on paddock stands to stop flat spots on the tyres
Plug in the optimate (I have the connector wire just tucked up behind the rear peg mount)
Good coat of wax on the paint
Good coat of ACF type stuff on all the metal parts to stop any corrosion
Cover her up to stop the dust

Optimate plug under the pillion seat is the neatest way imo. I live just round the corner from a garage so usually keep the fuel tank empty as possible to refill with fresh. Tyres at the right pressure on paddock stands

Give the bike a proper clean, lube all the lube points, brim the tank with high octane fuel, front and rear on paddock stands, connect a battery optimizer and cover it. FS365 and GT85 is good but don't do what i did last year and coat the brake discs in it or you'll need to burn it off with heavy braking.

Do not start the bike again until your going to use it properly. I've heard some folk say they start the bike every so often and leave it till the fan kicks in but thats a bad idea, all it does is increase engine wear and encourage condensation to form in the oil and engine.
A full fuel tank helps prevent any corrosion inside it.
newer battery optimizers will have different power modes and will cycle through them, charge and put a load on the battery.

I treat the fuel with Silkolene FST which is meant to stop water from forming in the fuel and has corrosion inhibitors. Stops carb icing as well for anyone who can remember em.

Back