Speed limit display on dash

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HertsTif

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
With a paired phone, the Gen 4 will show the current speed limit of the road you are on on the dash. Looking at the owners manual, it shows this displayed like a UK speed limit sign, but on my bike I get a plain white square with the speed limit in. Is there some kind of country setting I'm missing to get the localised graphic?

It was annoying me too, fortunately you can go into the menu settings and disable the speed limit display, simples!

Weird that you have wrong symbol. Here in Finland it shows like the UK speed limit sign... number inside white circle with red ring around it even as our speed limit sign is similar but on yellow background.

Maybe you should report the "problem" through the connected app on your phone, they actually answer to those emails :D

To me it?s simply ?you ain?t riding fast enough? for it to register..... lol

Software update needed perhaps?? Would suggest mentioning to ur dealer at ur 600 mile service

Funnily enough, I found a link (lost it now!) which said that this did work as per the manual originally... and got broken/changed in a software update.

Is there anywhere to report bugs in the bike software (as opposed to the app)? The app guys are indeed very responsive!

Howdy guys!

The boxed speed limit is a hello from good ol' 'merica :p

When you select mph as speed unit the speed limit shows as a box:

2020-04-10 13.01.36.jpg

and when you select km/h as speed unit it show the circle:
2020-04-10 13.01.42.jpg
So not only do you get the correct speed limit symbol, but also the correct unit for speed :Banane27:

Last edited:
Ah, so a quick software update will resolve this. Will mention this to the dealer at RIS, should be quite a small 'hot-fix' that will resolve.

I raised this with BMW UK. This setup (mph always showing US format signs) is by design. However, they've passed my comments on to the Product team.

So I guess it's a case of as many people as possible requesting this and they might change it in a future update.

I raised this with BMW UK. This setup (mph always showing US format signs) is by design. However, they've passed my comments on to the Product team.

So I guess it's a case of as many people as possible requesting this and they might change it in a future update.

Nice one Tif, I'll raise it as well tomorrow then! :)

Shouldn't be that difficult as they have different ecu maps in the states too... US bikes' type code is OE23 while ours is OE21. They can just make 2 different versions of the software :)

Even simpler than that imho. From what I can work out, the speed limit display relies on the phone app and having that paired to the bike at the time. That tells me the app is almost certainly using GPS to work out the road you are on, and therefore what the speed limit is. If they know the road you're on, then they sure as hell know the country you're in. So they could have one codebase along all their ECUs which just lists countries and what the local representation for the speed limit sign is (and a default representation for any countries they've not made a custom icon for).

Back