Thumb Brakes

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the lads are asking me if I actually need it but I do think this is one thing that will actually improve my track riding

If you learn how to use it, it will. That's my approach

Last edited:
I looked into this while ago, I can see it being really useful as the back brake feels a bit wooden and with boots....not much use at all. Even worse when leaned over on track, I never use it then at all! But it turned out to be very expensive, and as far as I remember it lost both the abs and the linked system. I like both of those, so didn?t bother and I certain,y wouldn?t trust myself on track without BMW?s finest safety aids..

you dont really need ABS on track, so it's a question whether you bike is track or not.

you dont really need ABS on track, so it's a question whether you bike is track or not.
True, definitely one for the pros. That?s why I binned the idea as I ride the road too. I still think a thumb brake is far better for control though, hands are much better than feet! I just couldn?t justify the cost against the benefits/risks for a part timer.

I have a set of alpha Racing clip-ons ready to fit on my Gen 4. I will be retaining the OEM switchgear as I don?t feel particularly inclined to spend a small fortune on the M RCK which comes with race switchgear. I won?t be ordering one until I find out how much space I have left on the bars after fitting my clip-ons, OEM switchgear and remote brake adjuster. If I have the space I will buy one and just remove the ABS. My bike will only be used on track so it makes sense to fit one. I certainly wouldn?t bother adding one to a road bike.

alpha Racing Thumb Brake Kit

For those considering ordering a Thumb Brake Kit for the Gen 4 please note the following response from alpha Racing regarding installation and use with their clip-ons and the OEM switchgear.

?The thumb brake kit has two different ways to mount. You can mount it on the handlebar and also on the OEM fork below the triple clamp. So if you do not have enough space between
your OEM left switch unit and remote brake adjuster (if fitted) you can mount it on the fork.?

https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/i...subcat=0&sort=1a&max_display=200&language=en&

Either like this

thumb_brake_kit__s_1000_rr_2019__10711.jpg

or like this

thumb_brake_kit__s_1000_rr_2019__10712.jpg

Indeed. Their response was sufficiently reassuring so I have ordered one.

Could only see a kit listed for the gen 4 and I?m looking for the gen 3 although I?d imagine it?ll be a generic kit that fits most bikes with only the mounting kits being different for some bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could only see a kit listed for the gen 4 and I?m looking for the gen 3 although I?d imagine it?ll be a generic kit that fits most bikes with only the mounting kits being different for some bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd assume so but maybe worth a mail to them.

The alpha Racing kit is apparently designed specifically for the Gen 4. You will probably have to contact them directly regarding fitment and compatibility with earlier models. They normally respond pretty quickly to queries.

Ordered today

No idea when it will arrive tho as its bundled with Domino throttle

I guess you will go for this mount

Yes; although I will probably try to mount it to the clip-on first but I suspect I will end up just fitting it to the fork leg as pictured.

Back