Hockenheim Silver - Project log

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd1e

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I thought seeing as i've just signed up for the premium membership here i'd write up my progress and story with my Hockenheim silver S1000RR.

It all started in December 2018 when I placed an order for a M-sport edition which I had seen at the NEC showed and loved it.

Roll on to August 2019, almost one year later and my bike finally showed up.. it was one of the first in the country at the time i believe. I was very close to cancelling the order given the time it was taking for the bikes to come through.

Here she is on collection day:

hywlBQO.jpg

The BMW was joining my KTM 1290 Superduke and Aprilia RSV4 RF which was my current sports bike and track weapon.

Once run in, it was off to her first track day at Bedford

Q6cszSC.jpg

Unfortunately it rained most of the day, but i managed one dry session in the morning. It was enough to leave its mark on me.. the bike was fantastic. It felt unbelievably light and blisteringly fast, much more so than my current 2017 RSV4.

YefeO9o.jpg

As it got towards the end of the year i was beginning to question if i really needed three bikes to sit in the garage over the winter not being used. I decided to sell one, it was between the RSV4 RF and S1000RR. I decided to sell the S1000RR as i would lose no money on it at the time and the RSV4 would be my dedicated sports bike going forward. My plan was to maybe swap the RSV4 in 2020 at some point (or just keep it longer)

However, things didn't work out too well from there. Late September 2019 the Aprilia decided to drop a valve... leading to catastrophic engine failure and a ?10k bill for a new engine. After several months of waiting and stripping the engine down, Aprilia decided they would pay most of the bill as a good will gesture (it was 2 months out of warranty and only had 3,500 miles on it), leaving me to pay 'only' ?2,000.

Once the Aprilia was fixed and run in, it was going to be sold. I knew exactly what i wanted to replace it with... another gen4 S1000RR. However, this time I decided it was going to spend a fair but of time on track and therefore I wanted a standard non M-sport bike. My friend had just cancelled their standard S1000RR order and gave me their build slot and my new Hockenheim silver S1000RR arrived on Christmas eve! It's completely standard apart from the paint and the 'riding pro' electronics pack.

1kN2bqT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here she is with her stable mates, just before the Aprilia went

AxyOJdr.jpg

For me the S1000RR and 1290 are 2 of the best bikes out. The KTM is a fantastic road bike in my opinion, it?s so fun and you don?t need to be going a million miles an hour to have tun. It wheelies in 4th gear and embarrasses most sports bikes. I took it to the Nurburgring last year instead of taking a sports bike like I normally do, and I still managed a sub 8 minute lap.

Next, was time to start the mods!

Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards were first up

vQodFuP.jpg

Official tank pad

lU6kzLH.jpg

Full Akrapovic Evolution Titanium system. The weight saving alone is worth the price for me. Also, the craftsmanship is amazing along with the sound.

jnjbhQF.jpg

Ready to fit along with GB racing engine covers?

Bf8jotZ.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
Fitting in progress, from experience it?s incredibly easy to damage the radiator when doing this, so doing my best to protect it.

daqpBMz.jpg

Old heavy exhaust off? not as heavy as I thought it would be? but still very heavy compared to the Akrapovic system

rug64h3.jpg

Shorai lithium battery going in. So much lighter than the standard battery, I would guess at least 1.5kg

52ubesu.jpg

Minus 1 tooth on the front sprocket. This is the first mod I do to all my bikes. I find most factory gearing set-ups are heavily compromised to cater for emissions and a wide range of rider ability and situations. Dropping one tooth on the front wakens the bike up nicely and gives an extra surge of power out of corners.

oBbYjVE.jpg

GB racing covers on?

RKglM1L.jpg

Last edited:
MRA screen fitted (no pics), which makes a huge different for a tall chap like me.

All bits fitted and run in service done

iUdFtRh.jpg

She is due to have her first outing on track at Parcmotor in Spain in a few weeks, but with this stupid virus I?m somewhat doubtful that?s going to happen.

I?ll keep this up to date with my findings as I get to know the bike more.

Last edited:
Nice write up and excellent collection of bikes !

What about calipers, are they leaking ?

Spain in 2 weeks is very unlikely.

Very nice write up and mods. Not sure if it?s just my iPad, but your pictures seem chopped off and not completely there!

Here she is with her stable mates, just before the Aprilia went

View attachment 4984

For me the S1000RR and 1290 are 2 of the best bikes out. The KTM is a fantastic road bike in my opinion, it?s so fun and you don?t need to be going a million miles an hour to have tun. It wheelies in 4th gear and embarrasses most sports bikes. I took it to the Nurburgring last year instead of taking a sports bike like I normally do, and I still managed a sub 8 minute lap.

continued...

Just noticed this part and fully agree ! Altho the sexy looks of Ducati Streetfighter S are making my head spin.

Ok, asking as mine and yours came around the same time and touch wood mine are ok.

yeah I'm starting to get nervous about that, especially considering if they leak at EU trackday, no spares really to replace.

Part of me wonders if the leaks happen more when you don't use the bike...i.e. anyone really using them doesn't see the symptom. Like the seals need to be worked and heated.

- Alex

Last edited:
Part of me wonders if the leaks happen more when you don't use the bike...i.e. anyone really using them doesn't see the symptom. Like the seals need to be works and heated.

- Alex

haha, 'dont use the bike' is exactly whats going to happen in next 2 months !!

Part of me wonders if the leaks happen more when you don't use the bike...i.e. anyone really using them doesn't see the symptom. Like the seals need to be worked and heated.

- Alex

I was speaking to a dealer about this and i think there is some truth in it.

Mine has been used often since I got it and have no issues and i know few others who are the same.

Exactly, it takes around 3 weeks of non use to notice leaks in my experience.
On track they stopped leaking and performed well. The seeped again after 3 weeks.

Back